California Zephyr discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just watched 5 and 6 pass each other on the Arvada/Big Ten Curve camera while a freight waited patiently in the siding.
6(5) was 21 plus hours late; 5(6) was 6 plus hours late. 6((6) is running in the "green".
Heard it was due to extremely high winds (90 mph)!
In extreme cases like this, how does Amtrak feed everybody? We’re aware that when a train is running 8 hours late, “Amstew” is served. To accommodate everyone when a train is running almost a whole day late, however, a replenishment stop would have had to been made either to restock the diner and the lounge car or to bring onboard something along the lines of pizza, Subway sandwiches, coffee, water, etc. Someone reading this who has gone through one of these situations can probably enlighten us.

In extreme cases like this, how does Amtrak feed everybody? We’re aware that when a train is running 8 hours late, “Amstew” is served. To accommodate everyone when a train is running almost a whole day late, however, a replenishment stop would have had to been made either to restock the diner and the lounge car or to bring onboard something along the lines of pizza, Subway sandwiches, coffee, water, etc. Someone reading this who has gone through one of these situations can probably enlighten us.

Everything from pizza to KFC

When I was given KFC in Flagstaff Arizona, the conductor walked through the train with a giant stack of boxes and a case of cans of regular Coke. Whenever anyone asked a question, he said "box, can" no discussion.
In the Amtrak Dining and Café Car Service discussion thread, several comments were posted by people with special diet requirements re: their trying to reconcile their dietary needs against what’s on the standard long-distance menu, the flex meal choices, and what’s available from the Café Car. Were they to find themselves on a train running 21 hours late, they would certainly have to make do as best they could or go hungry.

At least #6(5) was held at Fraser (WIP) and not in the wilderness somewhere and I would assume Amtrak had some clue to the potential length of the expected delay. That they allowed pax to deboard and explore the city. Fraser is a neat little town with free shuttle service to Winter Park (WPR) area. Plenty of restaurants/bars/entertainment in both cities. Been to both several times by rail and road. Probably advised them a safe time to be back to Fraser and/or listen for the horn to blow. Can't believe they would keep them on board and cooped up for 15 hours. Watched them go by my house at about 17:05 yesterday as they were leaving Denver (DEN) which is very unusual.

Train 5 never left Chicago on 4/8; at least that’s what the Amtrak app says. Does anyone know was this also due to the high winds, or some other reason?

Train 5 never left Chicago on 4/8; at least that’s what the Amtrak app says. Does anyone know was this also due to the high winds, or some other reason?

The train set that was delayed by high winds for nearly a day did not arrive in Chicago for enough time to turn it around and send it out as #5 on that day.

I heard that they switched out a sleeper (might’ve been the transdorm). I think the baggage car was just a casualty

Hi, I'll be taking the Zephyr in early June. What bedroom would you all suggest I request. Thank you
I’ll be taking the Zephyr in early June too 😊. But I’ll be roughing it in coach. Sure wish they had showers for us….I would pay extra for that- It’s a long trip!

Back