California Zephyr Disruption Due to BNSF Derailment in Iowa (11/9)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
This morning, a BNSF coal train derailed west of Danville, Iowa. Amtrak #6(07), which was making good time across Iowa, was annulled at Ottumwa, Iowa. Burlington Trailways buses arrived to take the passengers away about 11:45 a.m.

The California Zephyr set that was #6 is now parked at the Ottumwa Depot where it will become #5(09). They couldn't turn it or run the power around, so they tacked a BNSF freight locomotive to its west end.

Here's a news article. I'll be posting my own videos after I sort through them.

In a situation like this, how is the train restocked for the trip west? As in food and food service items, pillows, blankets, linens, etc since I would assume that gets handled in Chicago.

The Amtrak Location Map now shows #5(09) is stopped at Mount Pleasant, Iowa. I don't know why they moved it there.

I'm going to caulk that up to some sort of glitch. The westbound California Zephyr is shown to have left Ottumwa at 9:40 p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a situation like this, how is the train restocked for the trip west? As in food and food service items, pillows, blankets, linens, etc since I would assume that gets handled in Chicago.
They use the extra linen supplies that are usually stocked. Food can be an issue. Sometimes, they have to order out.

Amtrak #6 (of 11/08) is now detouring on the Union Pacific through Iowa.

A friend of mine caught #6(08) going through Ames, Iowa at 10:45 this morning. UP 5414 was leading so the train was cab signal-compliant.

Also, BNSF has reopened the line here in southern Iowa. I see #5(10) has left Chicago on the regular route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back