California Zephyr in Winter Weather

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

river

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
So, I am riding the California Zephyr from CHI to EMY at the end of this coming January. I am assuming we will go through lots of snow and ice and perhaps bad snowstorms. What has been the CZ's pattern in January-February travel and late arrivals (eg greater than 6 hours) into EMY? Just wondering what I should reasonably expect on our trip.

Donner Pass could be a problem as it is a region where monster snowstorms are common-and by monster I mean snow measured in YARDS! When you pass through the UP Yards at Roseville west of Donner be sure to keep an eye out for the classic Southern Pacific Rotary Snowplows.

Over the last few years, I've made three January trips on the CZ, and all have been fine. Railroads do pretty well in the winter, especially compared to other forms of transportation, and honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

All forms of transportation get delayed once in a while regardless of season. Most Amtrak delays occur for reasons other than weather, and statistically I don't think you're much more likely to have a late train in January than you are in July.

So, I am riding the California Zephyr from CHI to EMY at the end of this coming January. I am assuming we will go through lots of snow and ice and perhaps bad snowstorms. What has been the CZ's pattern in January-February travel and late arrivals (eg greater than 6 hours) into EMY? Just wondering what I should reasonably expect on our trip.
I wouldnt expect them to be on time.I rode it back in August.Hope you don't get the same conductor i had on #6.He looked like Mr Clean.Didnt no **** and didn't care.It was hours late on #5 and #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back