California Zephyr Trip October 18, 2005

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We leave Emeryville, CA on Oct 18, 2005 bound for Chicago, where we board the Capitol LTD for Washington DC, then on to Tampa, FL on October 24 or 25. We have a roomette for all three trains and are wondering what the consist will be made up of, what type of rail power, how many cars and the possibility of actually getting to Washington by Friday, Oct. 21. I haven't taken an AMTRAK train since a Sunset Limited from Sanford, FL to Houston, TX back in 1994 but really enjoyed that 2 days out in a sleeper. :unsure:

The California Zephyr usually operates with two locos, a baggage car, transition/crew dorm, two sleeping cars, dining car, sightseer lounge car, and three coaches during this season. There are occasions where the coaches will be at the front and the sleepers at the rear but it doesn't happen all that often.

Unfortunately, the California Zephyr is one of Amtrak's less reliable trains for on-time performance. Due to the Capitol Limited's relatively early departure (5:35 pm, IIRC), there is a better-than-decent chance your train could misconnect.

Depending on the situation, Amtrak might be able to reaccommodate you on another train that night (Lake Shore Limited/NEC Regional or Acela, or the Cardinal if it's running that day). If you're too late for those, then they will put you in a hotel for the night, and put you on the next day's train. However, there may not be enough sleeper space available on the trains to which you are reaccommodated, so if it comes to that, try and get rebooked first (if possible) to have the best shot at available rooms.

When I rode the Zephyr last month (for its Wyoming detour), Amtrak customer service representatives boarded in Galesburg and set up shop in the dining car to handle the rebooking enroute to Chicago (we got in at 8:30 pm).

In general, though, I wouldn't worry about it. They'll take care of you no matter what. You *might* miss a day wherever you're going, but then you'd get a day in Chicago, which is a fun place in its own right. Then again, you might just get lucky and make the connection on the correct day.

rmadisonwi said:
Unfortunately, the California Zephyr is one of Amtrak's less reliable trains for on-time performance.  Due to the Capitol Limited's relatively early departure (5:35 pm, IIRC), there is a better-than-decent chance your train could misconnect.
<snip>

In general, though, I wouldn't worry about it.  They'll take care of you no matter what.  You *might* miss a day wherever you're going, but then you'd get a day in Chicago, which is a fun place in its own right.  Then again, you might just get lucky and make the connection on the correct day.
The Capitol Limited departs at 5:35p. He's right; don't worry about it.

If there are enough people connecting off the CZ, they will hold #30 for those folks. Amtrak does not like to do this, but they will do this sometimes to avoid the rebooking and other hassles.

Have a nice trip! Wish I had the $$$ and time to do it!

If you miss the Capitol limited the cardinal through the new river gorge is beautiful any time of the year.If the leaves have turned its even better.

Back