California Zephyr vs. Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy City LSA

Service Attendant
It didn't get far today before this unfortunate delay. As was mentioned here in the past, I still find it quite ridiculous how the media reports these accidents...as if the train went crazy and sought out a car to hit or something. Silly. Things like "Train kills 2 in car". How about... driver of car used bad judgement and tried to beat train?

Aug 16, 2006 6:23 pm US/Central

Two Dead After Amtrak Train Strikes Vehicle

Inbound And Outbound Metra Trains Delayed

Get breaking news alerts

(CBS) BERWYN Two people were killed Wednesday afternoon when their vehicle was struck by an Amtrak train in west suburban Berwyn, according to officials on the scene there.

Outbound Metra trains have been stopped after the Amtrak train reportedly struck the car. The accident occurred on the train tracks that run along Windsor Avenue in Berwyn, according to a Metra spokesman.

Amtrak spokesman Mark Magliari said the No. 5. California Zephyr was westbound from Chicago to San Francisco and had left Chicago at about 1:50 p.m. The vehicle pulled into the train’s path about nine miles west of Chicago, he said.

There were no reported injuries on the train, which carried about 350 passengers, he said.

According to the Metra update, trains traveling outbound to Aurora and inbound trains traveling to Chicago’s Union Station are experiencing delays due to the accident. Officials have opened at least one track for train traffic, though all trains are traveling at restricted speeds.

The 5:08 p.m and 5:30 p.m. departures out of Chicago were cancelled, while the 5:16 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. departures will make additional stops at Western Avenue, Hinsdale and all stops to Route 59. The last inbound train departed Aurora about 5:10 p.m. and will be more than an hour late, Metra said.

All trains departing Chicago may be operating between 10 and 60 minutes late en route to their final destination.

CTA is honoring Metra tickets on the Pink Line, and Pace feeder buses have been notified and will instruct their drivers accordingly, according to Metra.

A dispatcher from the Berwyn Police Department declined to comment about the accident.

A media spokesman from Amtrak could not immediately be reached.

STNG contributed to this report.

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

The vehicle pulled into the train’s path . . .
At least the author did say the above.
That reminds me of the apocryphal news report that was once broadcast in the UK, telling of a train driver who luckily managed to swerve and avoid hitting a person on the line........

Can't find the link, but I know it's out there somewhere.

*j* :blink:

I'm going to be on 5 in two weeks. Thats gotta be hard on the crew. I'm friends with a guy who use to work at BNSF and he remembers VIVIDLY the day an ol' farmer drove his grain truck right over the tracks with lites going, bell going and he says, "the guy looked up at me, said ****" and then we hit him. He died instantly. Said he's had to have mega counseling over it. I feel for the crew and the passengers and most importantly, the families of the deceased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back