Caltrans New Bi-Lievel Designs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue here is whether safety should trump convenience. If one stays home when road conditions are bad (even if his or her car can handle the roads), he/she is doing what is convenient and what is believed to be safe. I don't see how yours is an adequate analogy to the issue of luggage bins/racks.
Your rebuttal proves my point. We have gone from doing what is right to preservation of our own personal comfort.

You know, I think we've become a country of mice. We shield our selves from every possible danger, even if it means losing tons of utility. When I was growing up, I remember my dad going to work every single day- even in relatively bad snow.
Now we await the pearls of wisdom on what utility is exactly lost in Acelas by having bins instead of racks ;)

I've seen both types on the CC trains that I've ridden so there seems to be a mix of car styles up here. While I haven't had a need for overhead storage (yet :) ) I do agree that the enclosed bins do look considerably smaller and are probably a bit more difficult to stash a bag into. They do give the car interior a 'cleaner' look but that is hardly justification for the lack of practicality.
There's a mix of car styles on the SJ too. The overhead bins are only on the older cars with the big white plastic tables that you have to pull up from the seat in front of you and fold down (sorry, no idea what the name of that car style is and that's the only difference I can remember other than the bins). Seems like they're phasing those cars out or something because I hardly ever see 'em on my AGR runs. I ride on one of the old cars for one of my four segments on Tuesday, but none on the four segments of the previous point run.

On the cars used in Northern California the 8xxx series or the older cars have the bins and seats that do not recline and the 6xxx cars have the racks and the seats that do recline.

Now we await the pearls of wisdom on what utility is exactly lost in Acelas by having bins instead of racks ;)
It wasn't really a relevant rant pertaining to the bins, just my perspective on the over safing of America in general.

Seems to me on short haul, commuter type, trains, bins are less attractive. Why bother opening and looking for open space if you are only on for a stop or two. However, if they were open racks, I think more people would use it since it is easy to see open space.

On LD trains, I think it would be horrible. Could you imagine being in coach, asleep in the middle of the night and people get on and start opening and closing bins looking for space? Plus, coming back to your seat, a simple glance up does not confirm your belongings are still there, you must open a bin. The opposit side of that, I guess, is it is less likely someone would grab something when walking by. Not a big problem, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back