Can all LD trains be taken off UP tracks?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it would be possible to make it so that if there is x percentage reliable OTP over freight trackage, then that freight trackage from the point of view of the IRS is counted as the cheapest possible track for tax purposes...even if it's a multi-track heavily signalled mainline; making it in the Freight RR's interest to maintain OTP...

If the presumption is that the Union Pacific is the worst host railroad for handling Amtrak trains, then that presumption is wrong. Here are the figures for Fiscal Year 2011 (10/1/10 to 9/30/11):

Host railroad: Minutes of host-caused delays per 10,000 train miles

Best

BNSF: 940

CSX: 1070

UP: 1090

CP: 1230

NS: 1250

CN: 1430

Worst

If UP can't handle 8 extra trains per week on the mainline, I'd say they need to invest in their infrustructure!!!
It's not like they can't handle 8 extra trains per week on the mainline, they just don't want to. And that's what my original question was- since UP has decided to be a pain in the posterior for Amtrak, are there absolutely no railway tracks that go from San Antonio area west towards Los Angeles which do not belong to Union Pacific? Any routing, any secondary lines, unused lines, abandoned lines, nothing at all? Seems unlikely considering how vast the network of railway tracks is in almost the entire country when we put everything together- all Class 1 Railroads, other smaller railroads, abandoned lines etc.
When I moved to San Antonio there were at least three major railroads serving our city. Missouri Pacific (est. 1851), Missouri–Kansas–Texas (est. 1870), and Southern Pacific (est. 1865). As the Clinton administration worked hard to codify Regan's regressive playbook of perpetual deregulation all of these century old railroads were eventually swallowed by the once tiny Union Pacific. Here in 2011 UP's network and influence is large enough and powerful enough that there is virtually nothing Amtrak can do to seriously entice (or threaten) UP into allowing new or substantially improved passenger rail services. Although there are rules and regulations that can force UP's hand in theory, in actual practice they are rarely used to any serious effect. If you didn't know better you might think America needs a healthy UP a lot more than UP needs a healthy America. Sure, there may be some additional adjustments allowed here and there, but for the most part UP is simply running out the clock on nationwide passenger rail in America.

200px-Union_Pacific_Logo.svg.png
800px-Union_Pacific_Railroad_system_map.svg.png

That being said, during the last dozen or so trips I've had on the Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle the on time performance hasn't been all that bad. Typically on time, sometimes early, and usually no more than twenty or thirty minutes when late. It has also been surprisingly rare to wait for a freight to pass us. I guess the jobless recovery is still helping to keep freight traffic down from previous highs. On a recent trip less than a week ago the Sunset had an engine failure and apparently required a freight unit to augment Amtrak's motive power. I have no idea why, seeing as how the Sunset doesn't have any steep grades and already makes use of two engines to begin with, but I'm sure someone else can explain that. In any case, we left SAS about an hour and a half behind schedule and arrived in ELP about two hours behind some eleven hours later. Considering that we had a slightly slower engine running us through that's really not so bad in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris: The reason that the Sunset Ltd. has Two Engines is to cross Paisano Pass between Alpine and Marfa, it's the highest Elevation Point on the route between NOL and LAX!(might also help with climbing the Huey Long Bridge in NOL!) In the old days Freights used Helper Engines to cross this Pass! (My Grandfather was the District Sup for SP stationed in Marfa!As a kid, I used to Love watching the old Steamers working hard while climbing this Pass when riding on the Motorcar with my Granfather!!)

Chris: The reason that the Sunset Ltd. has Two Engines is to cross Paisano Pass between Alpine and Marfa, it's the highest Elevation Point on the route between NOL and LAX!(might also help with climbing the Huey Long Bridge in NOL!) In the old days Freights used Helper Engines to cross this Pass! (My Grandfather was the District Sup for SP stationed in Marfa!As a kid, I used to Love watching the old Steamers working hard while climbing this Pass when riding on the Motorcar with my Granfather!!)
That's interesting to know Jim! I figured the slow speeds were mostly due to the curved tracks and never realized it was any sort of struggle for a modern four thousand horsepower locomotive to cross with a handful of passenger cars. Assuming that one P42 is still operative, would it have been possible to simply disengage the traction system on the borrowed freight locomotive and run at full speed during the 99% of the route that is essentially flat? Or are there technical and/or rule based issues preventing that?

If UP can't handle 8 extra trains per week on the mainline, I'd say they need to invest in their infrustructure!!!

Norfolk Southern just spent all kinds of money on the "Crescent Corridor" which involved adding passing sidings, straightening curves, and increasing track speeds. They did this because they want to run intermodals faster, and more reliable. It just makes good business sense!
This.

Intermodal, piggybacks, and car carriers typically want to be delivered quickly. Anything that allows a Superliner to run faster will also allow one of these high priority freight trains to run faster. Given that Amtrak is only typically taking one slot per day in each direction means that there are a LOT of other slots available at these new higher speeds for freight.

Of course, if UP is only hauling slag on this line, there isn't as big a rush to get it through.

Norfolk Southern just spent all kinds of money on the "Crescent Corridor" which involved adding passing sidings, straightening curves, and increasing track speeds. They did this because they want to run intermodals faster, and more reliable. It just makes good business sense!
This.

Intermodal, piggybacks, and car carriers typically want to be delivered quickly. Anything that allows a Superliner to run faster will also allow one of these high priority freight trains to run faster. Given that Amtrak is only typically taking one slot per day in each direction means that there are a LOT of other slots available at these new higher speeds for freight.

Of course, if UP is only hauling slag on this line, there isn't as big a rush to get it through.
UP is running intermodals along the Sunset route and has been double tracking the route over the past decade. They just don't want to deal with Amtrak any more than they have to.

It's not like they can't handle 8 extra trains per week on the mainline, they just don't want to. And that's what my original question was- since UP has decided to be a pain in the posterior for Amtrak, are there absolutely no railway tracks that go from San Antonio area west towards Los Angeles which do not belong to Union Pacific? Any routing, any secondary lines, unused lines, abandoned lines, nothing at all? Seems unlikely considering how vast the network of railway tracks is in almost the entire country when we put everything together- all Class 1 Railroads, other smaller railroads, abandoned lines etc.
This is also true of the Metra Trains that UP runs. I ride the West Line daily and it is always late going into Chicago or coming home...UP simply doesn't care and wishes Metra would go away as well!

I really don't see why people here treat UP like its executives carry the Black Death, the headquarters are a nuclear waste deposit and the rails are made of crushed puppy dogs. UP is, unlike Amtrak, a business whose sole objective is to make a profit. I don't think anyone can argue that Amtrak operating on their trackage impedes that goal, so naturally UP will fight against being stuck with Amtrak. To allow Amtrak access to UP's tracks without paying UP what it loses in potential revenue, or for the cost of replacing the capacity taken up by Amtrak, is the government confiscating private property without justifiable cause. And yet people act like by refusing Amtrak unlimited access to their tracks, UP is committing a crime against humanity.

On the other hand, UP was done a favor by being allowed to hand over its passenger trains. So the least it could do is be reasonable with allowing an extra passenger train a day.

On the other hand, UP was done a favor by being allowed to hand over its passenger trains. So the least it could do is be reasonable with allowing an extra passenger train a day.

A favor that a) none of the current management was involved with and b) UP paid for. So maybe it's Amtrak that owes UP for allowing them to start operations in the first place?

A favor that a) none of the current management was involved with and b) UP paid for. So maybe it's Amtrak that owes UP for allowing them to start operations in the first place?
And Amtrak would still be paying their below market track access rates. So in effect UP is still subsidizing Amtrak (in comparison to what they could be getting for that premium slot, Amtrak is considered the equivalent of a Z train). And I'm not sure if Amtrak has tried negotiating the 750 million down. It sounds like Amtrak just threw up their arms and said forget it.

I really don't see why people here treat UP like its executives carry the Black Death, the headquarters are a nuclear waste deposit and the rails are made of crushed puppy dogs.
Glad we got the melodrama out of the way right at the start. :lol:

To allow Amtrak access to UP's tracks without paying UP what it loses in potential revenue, or for the cost of replacing the capacity taken up by Amtrak, is the government confiscating private property without justifiable cause.
I don't think you'll find a single AU member who doesn't think UP should be paid fairly for any additional interruption on the part of Amtrak. We just don't see how a single daily train should cost Amtrak anywhere near $750 million taxpayer dollars. Isn't that a bit like saying Amtrak should foot the bill for 25% of the double tracking work for less than 1% of the routes tonnage? And if so how exactly is that a reasonable proposition?

And yet people act like by refusing Amtrak unlimited access to their tracks, UP is committing a crime against humanity.
Ah, we're back to the melodrama again. :giggle:

And Amtrak would still be paying their below market track access rates. So in effect UP is still subsidizing Amtrak (in comparison to what they could be getting for that premium slot, Amtrak is considered the equivalent of a Z train). And I'm not sure if Amtrak has tried negotiating the 750 million down. It sounds like Amtrak just threw up their arms and said forget it.
Do you have a source for that? I'm not even sure what "market rates" would be when there is no other potential passenger rail customer and thus no market to speak of. There is certainly no "Z" train and since we're apparently talking about Vegas I would like you and Eagle628 to explain why UP doesn't owe Amtrak anything after the American taxpayer paid UP for double tracking Amtrak has yet to be allowed to use.

Do you have a source for that? I'm not even sure what "market rates" would be when there is no other potential passenger rail customer and thus no market to speak of.

The profit from the trains UP could be running in the Sunset's place?

There is certainly no "Z" train
Z train=intermodal train. I know that's BNSF's code, UP's is something similar.

and since we're apparently talking about Vegas I would like you and Eagle628 to explain why UP doesn't owe Amtrak anything after the American taxpayer paid UP for double tracking Amtrak has yet to be allowed to use.
Erm, about those sources...

If UP wants to run another train along the Sunset route then how exactly would a single daily Sunset Limited run prevent that? We're not talking about a capacity restricted route here, at least not yet or in this context. Around here it's more likely to be a lack of refreshed manpower that prevents a train from running, not some overwhelming deference to Amtrak. The double track that is already in progress will add capacity while helping to cut down on delays due to track work and on fuel spent restarting diverted trains.

Fair enough, I'm trying to track down where I read that. In the mean time I'd still like to hear what you think about the $750 million "offer" UP made to Amtrak for a one-time change in the schedule of a single train on a single route representing less than 1% of the routes total tonnage. God forbid Amtrak has to make another schedule change down the road and pay UP another $750 million. :wacko:

I really don't see why people here treat UP like its executives carry the Black Death, the headquarters are a nuclear waste deposit and the rails are made of crushed puppy dogs. UP is, unlike Amtrak, a business whose sole objective is to make a profit.
This post just above might have something to do with it:

When I'm on a train stuck in the hole along the UPRR somewhere, I sometimes recollect a memorable excerpt from James McCommons' book Waiting On A Train. He relays a conversation held one day between an Amtrak product line agent/revenue manager at Longview, TX and a Union Pacific executive.

After the Amtrak manager made a comment about how the UP and Amtrak might cooperate to improve the Eagle's OTP, the UP exec responded back emphatically:

"You know Griff, you just don't get it. Amtrak doesn't get it. And maybe you guys will never get it, but we just don't care -- that attitude is instilled in the people running this railroad. It will take a full generation to run it out, and it may just pass on to the next generation.

You need to understand this...if you're right to the minute on time and an ass in every seat, we don't care. If you're nine hours late, and nobody is on the train, we don't care. If you have an engine failure and are stuck, we don't care. If you bring a few million to the table in incentives, we don't care. We're a $3-billion company, it means nothing to us.

So no matter what Amtrak does. No matter what you do, we don't care. WE DON'T CARE."

It's just one UP exec opining, but it was one of the more memorable exchanges from McCommons' book.  
Nobody is demanding "unlimited access to their tracks", just a fair deal Amtrak shouldn't have to pay the rates for a premium train unless it's displacing one, which it isn't.

If UP wants to run another train along the Sunset route then how exactly would a single daily Sunset Limited run prevent that? We're not talking about a capacity restricted route here, at least not yet or in this context. Around here it's more likely to be a lack of refreshed manpower that prevents a train from running, not some overwhelming deference to Amtrak. The double track that is already in progress will add capacity while helping to cut down on delays due to track work and on fuel spent restarting diverted trains.
The issue is more complicated than is being made out to be here.

A reasonable assumption on UP's part is that an Amtrak train takes one to two TOFC/COFC slots. Which means that it is reasonable in the extreme for Amtrak to pay what they'd make running such a COFC/TOFC in the slot, or at least some substantial proportion of it.

I bet their current guess is that if Amtrak were to run the Sunset on the 4 days that they do not run on currently, they would continue to pay the current rate that they pay which is way below what they could make by running a TOFC/COFC in the slots knocked out by Amtrak. Hence they come up with a number that allows them to collect some of the difference as capital improvement cost, out of which they get something in the way of added capacity. As a stockholder of UP I expect nothing less from UP management and would be a bit peeved if they went into the "subsidize Amtrak" business more than they already have to.

Indeed UP has amply shown that in a fair deal they are great partners to work with as is evident on the Capitol Corridor in California, where Gene S offered them a fair deal and they signed on and have lived upto it. So let us please not demonize UP just for the heck of it based on a few random reports in the press.

Amtrak should try to offer a deal based on higher trackage charge and lower capital up front and see where it goes. But financially Amtrak may not be able to do so at this point.

Fair enough, I'm trying to track down where I read that. In the mean time I'd still like to hear what you think about the $750 million "offer" UP made to Amtrak for a one-time change in the schedule of a single train on a single route representing less than 1% of the routes total tonnage. God forbid Amtrak has to make another schedule change down the road and pay UP another $750 million. :wacko:
See above. One thing that it is not is "wacko". :)

And finally, as PRR has pointed out UP is nowhere near the worst performer relative to Amtrak by Amtrak's own reckoning. So until people start discussing real number as opposed to vague feelings about things, we will never come to any sound conclusions.

Nobody is demanding "unlimited access to their tracks", just a fair deal Amtrak shouldn't have to pay the rates for a premium train unless it's displacing one, which it isn't.
Just curious.... how do you know what UP runs or not in those slots on the Sunset off days? How do you know what the crossing sidings situation is where additional crossings will have to be carried out if it became a daily train?

There is a similar issue with making the Cardinal daily regarding lack of availability of crossing tracks on BBRR which basically has to shut down all revenue earning CSX traffic between Gordonsville and Clifton Forge on the day that both east and westbound Cardinals operate on it. That becomes a daily affair instead of a once a week affair with tri-weekly ops. It stands to reason that CSX refuses additional frequency until Amtrak or the State of Virginia comes up with the money to add/lengthen sidings.

A reasonable assumption on UP's part is that an Amtrak train takes one to two TOFC/COFC slots. Which means that it is reasonable in the extreme for Amtrak to pay what they'd make running such a COFC/TOFC in the slot, or at least some substantial proportion of it.
So how exactly does one or two slots per day on a route that is below capacity and becoming less saturated over time equal $750 million? Who else has a record of paying a fee of that size for a one time schedule change involving one or two slots along a single route? I'm not surprised UP would try to stick the American taxpayer for $750 million, I'm just surprised anyone would think that's a reasonable good faith offer for a single schedule change to a single train on a single route.

So let us please not demonize UP just for the heck of it based on a few random reports in the press.
You mean the part where people quoted Union Pacific's own staff explaining that they and their organization couldn't care less what happens to Amtrak's performance? If you really want to refute that report then maybe you could start with some pro-Amtrak quotes attributed to current UP staff that will help clear the air and set the record straight as it currently stands.

PRR has pointed out UP is nowhere near the worst performer relative to Amtrak by Amtrak's own reckoning. So until people start discussing real number as opposed to vague feelings about things, we will never come to any sound conclusions.
PRR did not actually refute the contention that Union Pacific is indifferent to Amtrak's performance or is unwilling to negotiate in good faith with terms Amtrak has any chance of meeting. In PRR's view there are other railroads that are even worse than UP. That's good to know but I don't see how that contention changes anything with regard to the allegations made against UP. If the only way you can defend the actions of a given company is to bash the actions of other companies, well, that's not much of an actual defense in my book.

So how exactly does one or two slots per day on a route that is below capacity and becoming less saturated over time equal $750 million? Who else has a record of paying a fee of that size for a one time schedule change involving one or two slots along a single route? I'm not surprised UP would try to stick the American taxpayer for $750 million, I'm just surprised anyone would think that's a reasonable good faith offer for a single schedule change to a single train on a single route.
You have carefully elided the explanation I gave you as to what is going on, which I have learned talking to people in the know, and then you circle back to your original observation. This suggest to me that you are not trying to develop an understanding of what is happening and then figure out what is a workable solution within the context of the current situation. UP is not trying to stick anything to anyone. It is trying to make it worthwhile for their business to enter into an additional obligation which they per se do not need as a matter of business, and have presented a first negotiating position. However, your implicit preconceived hostility towards UP can understandably make it difficult for you to see it that way.

And you know it is below capacity, how exactly? That is certainly contrary to everything that I have heard and read in the well established rail transportation literature in the US.

So let us please not demonize UP just for the heck of it based on a few random reports in the press.
You mean the part where people quoted Union Pacific's own staff explaining that they and their organization couldn't care less what happens to Amtrak's performance? If you really want to refute that report then maybe you could start with some pro-Amtrak quotes attributed to current UP staff that will help clear the air and set the record straight as it currently stands.
Good emotional flourish. Yes one guy said so. But net net UP is not out of the norm in living upto contractual terms than anyone else. Could the overall situation be better? I am sure it could. But for that the general tenor of how transport contracts are handled on rail needs to change, specifically as they apply to relationship with passenger haulers. There are examples out there, as mentioned by me earlier, even involving UP where very productive cooperation has been in place between Amtrak California and UP. That could be used as a blueprint to try to handle this one. Amtrak IMHO has not bothered to make a full scale attempt to see what could be negotiated yet.

BTW, I have no intention of starting with any quotes since at the end of the day properly established and published statistics is what measures things, not random quotes in the press. So if you are waiting for me to find some random quote, keep waiting. you'll wait a very long time. :)

PRR has pointed out UP is nowhere near the worst performer relative to Amtrak by Amtrak's own reckoning. So until people start discussing real number as opposed to vague feelings about things, we will never come to any sound conclusions.
PRR did not actually refute the contention that Union Pacific is indifferent to Amtrak's performance or is unwilling to negotiate in good faith with terms Amtrak has any chance of meeting. In PRR's view there are other railroads that are even worse than UP. That's good to know but I don't see how that contention changes anything with regard to the allegations made against UP. If the only way you can defend the actions of a given company is to bash the actions of other companies, well, that's not much of an actual defense in my book.
Actually UP at present is near the top on the best side of the equation. This has not always been the case and they have been much much worse in the past. Union Pacific needs to live upto the contract that they have. It does not matter whether they do it indifferently or enthusiastically. If they don't live upto the contract that they have entered they should be pulled up for it and due action taken, as has been threatened on occasion in the past. Additionally, In entering new contracts it should do so keeping the interest of its owners in mind. They run the business for their owners and their customers.

jis said:
However, your implicit preconceived hostility towards UP can understandably make it difficult for you to see it that way.
With all due respect Sir, your own credibility in this particular discussion is a bit dubious itself. As a UNP shareholder, you're certainly not in a position to be slinging arrows at others about their lack of impartiality in this discussion.

jis said:
BTW, I have no intention of starting with any quotes since at the end of the day properly established and published statistics is what measures things, not random quotes in the press.
Attributing your insights to the situation by vaguely alluding to contact with "people in the know" is equally underwhelming and specious.

Just curious.... how do you know what UP runs or not in those slots on the Sunset off days? How do you know what the crossing sidings situation is where additional crossings will have to be carried out if it became a daily train?

There is a similar issue with making the Cardinal daily regarding lack of availability of crossing tracks on BBRR which basically has to shut down all revenue earning CSX traffic between Gordonsville and Clifton Forge on the day that both east and westbound Cardinals operate on it. That becomes a daily affair instead of a once a week affair with tri-weekly ops. It stands to reason that CSX refuses additional frequency until Amtrak or the State of Virginia comes up with the money to add/lengthen sidings.
I seriously doubt that the UP is running at 100% capacity along that line the other 4 days a week. If you've got information that suggests that, I'm all ears.

I also seriously doubt that the $750M price tag would be enough to just pay for upgrades that will only allow Amtrak to operate and provide no utility whatsoever to the UP. If the improvements provide utility to the UP, they should foot a proportionate share of the bill.

But comparing the largest railroad in the country to the BBRR is a bit of a stretch.

As for the question of LD trains being taken off the UP. That is currently next to impossible as there are way too many tracks owned by UP that LD trains run on. Unless Amtrak gets money to build new tracks that would by pass the UP tracks all together, which I know won't happen for some time. Until then I'm about to do the Loco-Motion and head out.

In the mean time I'd still like to hear what you think about the $750 million "offer" UP made to Amtrak for a one-time change in the schedule of a single train on a single route representing less than 1% of the routes total tonnage. God forbid Amtrak has to make another schedule change down the road and pay UP another $750 million. :wacko:
I think it's improbable, but not implausible, that $750 million is what it would cost UP to handle a daily Sunset. UP began their double-tracking project before a daily Sunset began being seriously considered, so I suppose it's possible that a daily Sunset really does throw their capacity projections off enough that they would have to build $750 million worth of new sidings to handle it.

It seems more likely, though, that UP sees the opportunity to have the government pick up some of the cost of their project by saying that it's required (which it is) for the Sunset to operate reliably daily, forgetting that it was originally started to operate freight reliably. But I don't think UP deserves to be demonized even if this is actually the case, as the Feds have happily contributed to the NS and CSX intermodal corridors, and I don't see how this would be any different; in fact, I can see more of a case for the government to pay for this, as it would support Amtrak as well as freight. So maybe what UP should do is say the DoT needs to pay $750 million, rather than Amtrak.

Not saying UP can't do better, but they have invested a lot into the Sunset Route over the past few years, and the amount of traffic over that line has doubled over the past 10 years.

Should they try everything in their power to keep Amtrak on time? Yes. At the same time, do you think UPS or any of the other intermodal customers really care that although their shipments were late, causing problems with all their customers, Amtrak ran on time? Probably not.

I don't mean to come off as an anti-Amtrak person, I'm not at all, but it's a lot harder than people realize to move low and high priority freight as well as passenger service all on the same set of rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back