Can i Do This

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white rabbitt

Lead Service Attendant
here is my question i have enough points for a round trip one zone

chicago--austin coach now afrer i book my round trip i plan on '

upgrading my ticket by buying a roomette round trip that way'

my only cost is the roomette and i have a 200 dollar credit from amtrak

so i can use it for one of my roomette's and my only cost is the 194

for the 2nd roomette is this possible

Sadly, No.

You cannot upgrade an AGR ticket until you are onboard the train, buying the room before is not possible. And as recently announced, onboard upgrades will no longer be at the low bucket price, but at current bucket prices.

And the onboard upgrade is killed by that voucher. The conductor cannot take the voucher from you as payment for the room. He can only take cash or credit card.

Sadly, No.

You cannot upgrade an AGR ticket until you are onboard the train, buying the room before is not possible. And as recently announced, onboard upgrades will no longer be at the low bucket price, but at current bucket prices.

And the onboard upgrade is killed by that voucher. The conductor cannot take the voucher from you as payment for the room. He can only take cash or credit card.
alan can i do this'

use my points for a one zone trip chicago-austin roomette

then call customber relations and use my 200 credit

for a one way roomette austin chicago i only have to pay $101 for the differance

Sadly, No.

alan can i do this'

use my points for a one zone trip chicago-austin roomette

then call customber relations and use my 200 credit

for a one way roomette austin chicago i only have to pay $101 for the differance
If you have 15,000 points, then yes that would work.

As Alan said, that would work Wabbit, but depending on how close you are to leaving, it may still be a bit of a hassle-Unless it's changed very recently, the e-vouchers still have to be presented to the agent at time of booking, meaning, you would have to go to a manned station to book that portion of your trip, OR, if you have time to mail it in, book it on the phone when you're booking your AGR trip, and work out arrangements to mail it in with payment. (I would send it certified mail) Just a thought.

As Alan said, that would work Wabbit, but depending on how close you are to leaving, it may still be a bit of a hassle-Unless it's changed very recently, the e-vouchers still have to be presented to the agent at time of booking, meaning, you would have to go to a manned station to book that portion of your trip, OR, if you have time to mail it in, book it on the phone when you're booking your AGR trip, and work out arrangements to mail it in with payment. (I would send it certified mail) Just a thought.
it is not a e voucher it is a credit of 200 bucks obs

Yes there is.

AGR_Coach.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, got it. Had trouble decipering what you were talking about.

AGR awards are one way so yes, like Alan said you can use the points one way and pay for the other way with whatever combination of cash/credit/voucher you have.

Just to be clear, Amtrak no longer allows customers to pay the upgrade dollar differential on board to go from a coach points ticket to a sleeper. Either you must use all money, or all points.

https://amtrakguestr...s.com/info/news

Upgrades to redemption reservations may not be purchased onboard the train from the conductor. To modify the class of service of your redemption reservation, you must have enough points to redeem for the new, upgraded reservation and contact Amtrak Guest Rewards for availability. Points may not be combined with other forms of payment for an upgrade in service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google Translate has been of no help.
ok i used my 15,000 points and AGR gave me

a business class and roomette from royal oak michigan to austin texas

the amtrak office gave me a one way austin tx-royal oak roomette and business class ticket

for 357 one way -- the 200 credit amtrak gave me my cost was 157

Back