Can I take a snowboard with me on a checked baggage train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
I'm taking the LSL on Friday from BUF to NYP. Its a long story, but the last time a tired to take a snowboard with me it was NOT packed in a box and they would'nt accept it for baggage. No bigge, I just put it back in my trunk and got on the train.

SO...if I pack it as if I was mailing it, will they accept it?

Do I have to pay?

I'm taking the LSL on Friday from BUF to NYP. Its a long story, but the last time a tired to take a snowboard with me it was NOT packed in a box and they would'nt accept it for baggage. No bigge, I just put it back in my trunk and got on the train.
SO...if I pack it as if I was mailing it, will they accept it?

Do I have to pay?
I can't answer you question for you, but as an alternative you could tie a tow rope to the back of the train and snowboard your way to NYP. What a trip that would be huh? You could call it the "AELSLI". (Amtrak's East Lake Shore Limited Iditarod) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
How big is your snowboard? (Sorry, I am naive about this)

Would it fit into a "standard" size suit box or bike box? If so, I believe you can check it as luggage.

Yes you can, heck I even check a saddle in before! Oh and btw most riders and skiers bring it on with them, they normally put them on the bottom level of the car.

The standard dimensional requirement for checked luggage is no more than 3' x 3' x 3'. If the snowboard is no more than about 4' x 3' by a few inches, you might find that it may fit diagonally in a 3' x 3' x 3' box.

If it's oversize, I'm not sure whether there's any way to get Amtrak to accept it.

If Amtrak won't accept it as checked luggage, you could also see if Amtrak's package express service (at a different toll free number) will accept an item of that dimension.

Yes you can, heck I even check a saddle in before! Oh and btw most riders and skiers bring it on with them, they normally put them on the bottom level of the car.
You mean on the bottom of a Superliner? How does that translate to a single level train like the Lake Shore Limited?

.... Why would you want to ski out east, the real stuff is out here. ;)

Back