Can I use One Class upgrade coupons on the Cascades?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
Wifey are going from PDX to VAC in coach in Jan 2013. Could we use One Class Upgrade Coupons (if we had them) so we would be in business class?

Anyone have some extras?

Thanks

Yes, those coupons are good on the Cascades service.

The one caveat is that you must book the coach seat without using any discounts.

While you could use the coupons, it might not be a good idea. First of all, the upgrade to business class doesn't cost very much, and second, BC tends to sell out, so by the time you could use the coupon, there might not be seats available.

I bought the tix with AGR points - are the coupons useable in that case?

What extra goodies does one get in B/C on the Cascades? Is it worth 50% more dollars?

I can't speak to the AGR points question, but BC on the Cascades is pretty nice. You get 2+1 seating, newspapers, wi-fi (although that is for everyone on the train and can be spotty), and a $3 off coupon for food and beverages in the bistro car. And the thing I like best: in PDX and SEA, coach passengers have to line up to get seat assignments, whereas business class passengers get their assignments at the ticket counter.

Just to verify. I have three upgrade coupons I got by qualifying for Select status and am exactly a one-way First Class Acela Ride away from S+. I know that discounts (like the NARP 10% discount) can be obtained on weekend Acela trains but I gather my getting the NARP discount would mean I couldn't use an upgrade coupon?

I guess, this is covered under the restriction: "Upgrade may be combined with corporate discount, but not combined with any other discount, coupon or AGR redemption travel."

This is my first time having any of these coupons so I'm still figuring things out. Happy I noticed the blackout dates last night (I need to be in Boston the weekend before Christmas, of course when the blackout dates are).

Just to verify. I have three upgrade coupons I got by qualifying for Select status and am exactly a one-way First Class Acela Ride away from S+. I know that discounts (like the NARP 10% discount) can be obtained on weekend Acela trains but I gather my getting the NARP discount would mean I couldn't use an upgrade coupon?
If you've already booked the trip with the discount, don't cancel it! When you go to process the coupon, the agent will simply remove the discount at that time but preserve the bucket you have. Then when you got to pick up the ticket, you'll have to pay the difference represented by the lost discount.

If you cancel the reservation and re-book, then you may well lose the bucket price you have.

If you're about to book the trip, then be sure to book it with no discounts just to make life easier.

I guess, this is covered under the restriction: "Upgrade may be combined with corporate discount, but not combined with any other discount, coupon or AGR redemption travel."
Correct!

This is my first time having any of these coupons so I'm still figuring things out. Happy I noticed the blackout dates last night (I need to be in Boston the weekend before Christmas, of course when the blackout dates are).
Yes, you do want to pay attention to those blackout dates.

If you can cancel and rebook at the same bucket price without the NARP discount, I would do it. I once ran into a stubborn ticket agent who insisted that she couldn't process my acela upgrade because I had a AAA ticket. Of course I then hung up and called back and found someone who would do it, but if you can preserve your bucket and rebook without the discount, it will make life easier.

Im still figuring out when I'm going to do the Boston trip. The day I was planning to do (and a trip I need to make anyway) was the Thursday before Christmas.

Its just nice to no that there is no longer a price incentive to do the trip on a weekend.

I bought the tix with AGR points - are the coupons useable in that case?

What extra goodies does one get in B/C on the Cascades? Is it worth 50% more dollars?
You may want to consider cancelling your coach tickets and simply rebooking

into BC using your AGR points. It's only 500 more points (a 33% premium over coach)

and well worth it for a longer segment like PDX-VAC. Since you'll be going to VAC,

another bonus is that you'll be among the first off the train to clear customs in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back