Can you write in your AGR# on a ticket?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
Had a friend add me onto a sleeper reservation, and he apparently has the ticket in hand. He didn't have my AGR number when he did this, so at the moment, the ticket is missing any AGR #.

I was curious if I might actually be able to neatly write my AGR number on the ticket in the allotted space and get credited without the rigamarole of waiting 4 weeks and submitting it. Just a thought I had.

And in advance, no I doubt I'd take the ticket to the counter prior to boarding to have them void it and issue a new one with the AGR number, that seems a bit much.

I dont think it will help.

My understanding is when they process the tickets they get dumped into some kind of machine, and the magnetic strip gets read.

I guess its worth a shot.

My understanding is if you call tonight and add the # to the rez you will get the points even though the number isn't on the ticket.

And in advance, no I doubt I'd take the ticket to the counter prior to boarding to have them void it and issue a new one with the AGR number, that seems a bit much.
The agent probably wouldn't even void it. My one experience was with a travel-agent-issued (Carlson Wagonlit, no less) ticket that a client purchased for me (without my AGR number). I gave the ticket to the Harrisburg (HAR) agent with my AGR number and she put the number in the reservation. She gave me back the ticket (it still didn't show the AGR number). The points posted normally.

I daresay telephoning Amtrak (not Amtrak Guest Rewards) before travel with the reservation number will do the same result.

Agreed with the above, if you haven't yet taken the trip or if you did take it within the past 2 days, call Amtrak and have them add the number to your reservation. It does not need to actually appear on your ticket, the number needs to be in the computer in order for you to get points.

Which is also why hand writing the number won't work, as the number isn't in the computer, it's only on the ticket.

Back