Canada Circle Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently aboard the Maple Leaf en route to Toronto. This is a circle trip from Albany to Toronto on the Maple Leaf, Toronto to Montreal on the VIA corridor, and then Montreal back to Albany on the Adirondack. Boarded in Albany - wasn't too crazy in the station. Most people were waiting to board the 280 Empire Service to New York. Got a breakfast sandwich at the coffee shop there which was decent. I went to the information booth and got the baggage tags you're supposed to get and then waited near the gate as I wanted to be the first in line to try to get a single seat in the Club-Dinette business seating which I succeeded in. Nice sunny day along the Mohawk River and slowly starting to see some snow. With the lake effect snow the Buffalo area got yesterday should see the snow increase as I go west. Just got a stromboli from the cafe car which I hadn't gotten before and it was halfway decent. Will report back on the border crossing situation. This is my first time heading west out of Albany on a day train - all previous have been Chicago bound on the Lake Shore. Really enjoying the ride so far.

At the Niagara Falls Ontario station. Got a bit of a view of the falls when crossing over. Process was similar to a recent other trip report. Upon arrival at the platform a VIA crew member came aboard to business and had us get off first. I was the first in line at customs. A sniffing dog then came through and checked everyone and their baggage. Then went and talked to an agent. Basically asked what the purpose of my trip was when I was heading home and if I had firearms. Real quick.

The VIA crew did load food at the stop. There were a few cold sandwich options: I had the ham croissant which was quite good. I also had a can of beer - VIA serves notably larger beer cans than Amtrak. Though a bit higher price as a result. With the short trip the stock of everything is very very limited so if you decide to get something on this trip before arrival in Toronto go early shortly after opening. Will post tomorrow with some photos of VIA business.

Last edited:
Aboard the VIA train 62 in business class. The business lounge was comfortable and offered some complementary beverages. The train exterior and windows are absolutely filthy - even worse than some recent Amtrak trains I’ve been on. However the interior is comfortable - I got a single seat. Food and beverage so far has included juice, water, and a bagel.

Attached are some photos from so far today. Including the lounge, train, and food. A bonus funny is a hilarious Christmas tree in the concourse of Union station in Toronto.

Attachments

• IMG_2215.mov
    22.1 MB
  • IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2218.jpeg
    IMG_2218.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2220.jpeg
    IMG_2220.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2221.jpeg
    IMG_2221.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2224.jpeg
    IMG_2224.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2227.jpeg
    IMG_2227.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
Aboard the VIA train 62 in business class. The business lounge was comfortable and offered some complementary beverages. The train exterior and windows are absolutely filthy - even worse than some recent Amtrak trains I’ve been on. However the interior is comfortable - I got a single seat. Food and beverage so far has included juice, water, and a bagel.
62 (and its sister train 52 that will separate at Brockville) bridge two meal periods. You've had the light breakfast and a full hot lunch is usually served after Kingston.

…Then went and talked to an agent. Basically asked what the purpose of my trip was when I was heading home and if I had firearms. Real quick.
I thought the Maple Leaf did not have checked baggage? How could you use a RCMP 5589 NRFD or RCMP 5592 PAL if you have no correct way to have even transported the firearm that far?

CBSA is obsessed with guns. It's not limited to visiting Americans - try being a Canadian returning from a longer visit to a "gun-friendly" state.
They do let people bring some guns through, don't they? I mean assuming that you declare them and have all the correct paperwork. After all, Americans do go up to Canada to hunt (and spend tourist $$$), and presumably at least some Canadians might want to visit the States to go hunting. Also, people in the shooting sports might want to be able to bring their guns back and forth across the border.

They do let people bring some guns through, don't they? I mean assuming that you declare them and have all the correct paperwork. After all, Americans do go up to Canada to hunt (and spend tourist $$$), and presumably at least some Canadians might want to visit the States to go hunting. Also, people in the shooting sports might want to be able to bring their guns back and forth across the border.
In the context of Amtrak service. It is at least theoretically possible (I don't know what is actually possible) on Cascades which have baggage cars. Not so much on the NY State to Canada trains which don't have baggage cars.

CBSA is obsessed with guns. It's not limited to visiting Americans - try being a Canadian returning from a longer visit to a "gun-friendly" state.
In the April 2020 massacre in Nova Scotia which left 22 people dead, I believe the investigation discovered that the shooter had smuggled most of his weapons into Canada through the border crossing at Houlton, Maine/Woodstock New Brunswick.

Currently at the border doing the CBP thing. My car got done quickly as I’m off at ALB. They’re working on the rear car now which is all the NYP bound people that were on at Montreal. That last stretch of track from CP Cantic to Rouses Point is a bumpy ride at 50 MPH on that old stick rail. Interestingly the switch at CP Cantic was already set for us - and we did not stop to set it back towards St. Albans. We did have to set the switch at the border where we hit the CP line.

Back