Cancellation Penalties?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I have a trip in mind but I'm a little concerned about booking it this far out. In the past, if something came up I'd just cancel & rebook at a different date. As I understand, now I would get charged for doing that. Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

The way I read the T&C you can cancel within 24 hours of purchase. And after that to 15 days prior to departure there is a 25% penalty. Less then 15 days no refund for sleeping accommodations.

Sleeper Accommodations
  • Refunds: Full refund if canceled within 24 hours of purchase. After 24 hours of purchase, 25% cancellation fee charged if canceled 15 or more days prior to departure. No refunds if less than 15 days prior to departure.
  • eVouchers Available: Full value, no fees if canceled within 24 hours of purchase. After 24 hours of purchase, 25% cancellation fee charged if canceled prior to departure.
  • No Change Fee

If your just changing dates no penalties assuming fares the same. You can roll it forward not the same as voucher but close assuming your routing stays the same.

Worst case rebook for 11 months out at the same fare using Amsnag, then rebook again when you have dates set in stone. The only additional costs would be if there was a difference in fare on your final travel dates.

That’s the best work around I’ve found unfortunately.

Last edited:
If plans change, but you're still planning on going from A to B, call Amtrak and MODIFY your reservation. (key word to the agent...MODIFY). Doing so, you'll be charged whatever the current rate is for that trip and accomodations, it may be higher or lower. Figure out the best price/days using Amsnag and book it now. Check with Amsnag every couple of weeks as the prices may drop. I recently did just that and modified my reservation to a different roomette on the same train, same day, and got a $200+ voucher due to the lower price I discovered.

Back