Capital Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moe

Why is the Capitol Limited always so late leaving Chicago? Sometimes over 4 hours. Also with the new non smoking policy in effect, how often or seldom can you get off to smoke?

The captial limited could be late with its departure due to delays turining equipment around after its run. Smoking is usually permitted at terminal station along the route. These are stops that last longer then the other smaller ones where the train may be refuled or a large passenger load is anticipated. When you get on board ask your attendant what places(if any depending on other situation) you will be able to detrain to smoke.

Usually larger stations where the crews change there will be a smoking stop. They will also add in some other large stops, but it depends on the route. Some routes like the Lake Shore Ltd post notices around the train stating smoking stops.

Capitol Limited smoking stops would include Toledo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. You could try to convince the conductor or one of the train attendants to allow you to smoke quickly at one of the other station stops, but you'll have to be ready for a very quick smoke.

I've taken the Capitol Limited out of CHI three times, and each time it was late because of delayed equipment. The consist for that train comes from the Southwest Chief, and when that train is late, so is the Capitol Limited.

AMTK@AUS said:
I've taken the Capitol Limited out of CHI three times, and each time it was late because of delayed equipment. The consist for that train comes from the Southwest Chief, and when that train is late, so is the Capitol Limited.
I traveled yesterday Newton to Chicago on the SWChief. We were nearly 4 hours late arriving, but the crew on board had informed us that those of us connecting on the Cap Ltd (there were MANY) wouldn't miss our connection. Upon arrival, Amtrak whisked us right onto a ready-to-go Cap Ltd, so there are times when Amtrak puts together a new consist for #30 rather than delaying further by turning around equipment from #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back