Capitol Corridor Amtrak Train Routes.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
Hi there I want to get information of the Amtrak Trains please. My first information is about the Capitol Corridor is this train is with Superliner Cars?

Hello there I am eating my Ice Cream now on my computer and talking about that can I buy Ice Cream on the Cafe or Lounge cars?

Amtrak Railfan said:
Hello there I am eating my Ice Cream now on my computer and talking about that can I buy Ice Cream on the Cafe or Lounge cars?
I have yet to see any sort of ice cream in Cafe or Lounge cars, but I know it is served in the Dining Car. I also think ice cream is stocked in the Palmetto Business Class car along with drinks and what not.

To answer your first question, the Capital Corridor runs with California Cars, which are bilevel cars similar to Superliners . . . well not too similiar but Im not going to go in to great detail. Ive seen pictures of California trains with Superliner cars in the mix though, most likely substituting.

Viewliner is right though, bad habit!

Lounges do not stock Ice Cream mainly because the LSA is in and out of those freezers all day. Also your ice cream would be a bit mushy as the Lounge freezers are set to about 40 degrees because food is not as perishable as Dining Car food. Dining car food on the other hand is very perishable, and therefore is kept at a lower temperature.

Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin trains do serve vanilla-bean ice cream (in a small cup) in the cafe lounge for $1.50. I believe this is a new item that was just recently added to the Amtrak California menu in response to heavy demand from passengers for ice cream on these routes.

I'm not sure if the Pacific Surfliners in Southern California have this item on their menu or not... I know many of their items differ from the Capitols and San Joaquins in Northern California, including that the Surfliners have Krispy Kreme doughnuts on their morning trains!

As Homer Simpson would say, mmmm doughnuts. B) While the new lounge menus are good, I personally think they are lacking in the breakfast area. Then again I'm eatin French Toast or pancakes, not lounge food.

The Krispy Kremes on the Surfliner are a dollar a donut, currently in two-packs... kind of a rip-off. They previously had four-packs for $4.

Anthony said:
The Krispy Kremes on the Surfliner are a dollar a donut, currently in two-packs... kind of a rip-off. They previously had four-packs for $4.
Have to love that ballpark style pricing :)

P40Power said:
Ummm anykind of food they want that they have in stock I guess . . .
and whatever their parents are willing to pay for.

HAHA I was thinking about adding that, or maybe they have their own money from their lemonaide stand or paper route!!

I notice that kids generally go for (in our lounges) pizza, candies, and chips, junk food basically.

kids also go for the burritos and sodas in the CC lounges (spent enough time in line with them to know).

One of the hottest items, atleast on the Crescent, appears to be the Hot Dogs. And who can blame the kids, they are awesome! :D

Those Kosher International Hot Dogs that Amtrak uses (or used) are some of the best hot dogs ever I think.

The Angus Cheeseburger and those big chocolate chip cookies are my personal favorite aboard the Amcafe.

I wanna try a Breakfast Sandwhich sometime, I love them and I wanna see what an Am Mc Muffin tastes like!

One of our LSA's said the apple cinnammon muffin is pretty good also. But my favorite breakfast type item is still the Cinnammon Roll (drool). Beyond that I don't really eat out of the lounge, if I'm that hungry I'm more likely to be seen in the Dining Car (or with to go from the Dining Car anyway).

I remember the weirdest thing I had on Amtrak, a bagel on the way back from STL-CHI. I asked for a bagel with cream cheese. The attendent handed me this WEIRD looking thing that was like a roll with the texture of the outside of a bagel. There was no cream cheese around, so Im like what is this?! But the cream cheese was like injected into the middle like a bear claw or something. It was actually pretty good!!

I also had one of those cinnamon Rolls too on the Lake Shore the next morning, and it was GREAT!

While I try to watch what I consume, I can not help but splurge in Amtrak food service cars. My favorite item in the Lounge would be the hot dog and those chewy brownies they have. On the Capitol Limited, though I did not eat from the Lounge, they had chicken wings and some sort of nacho entree that looked good. The new menus, both in the Lounges and Diners seemed greatly improoved from last year.

P40Power said:
I remember the weirdest thing I had on Amtrak, a bagel on the way back from STL-CHI. I asked for a bagel with cream cheese. The attendent handed me this WEIRD looking thing that was like a roll with the texture of the outside of a bagel. There was no cream cheese around, so Im like what is this?! But the cream cheese was like injected into the middle like a bear claw or something. It was actually pretty good!!
I also had one of those cinnamon Rolls too on the Lake Shore the next morning, and it was GREAT!
Reminds me of my favorite thing from the CC lounge, the cheese pretzel. Originally when I first saw them I thought it would be a regular hot pretzel with a cup of cheese sauce or something but no the cheese is injected into the pretzel. Don't know why I like them but they are addictive.

Amfleet said:
While I try to watch what I consume, I can not help but splurge in Amtrak food service cars. My favorite item in the Lounge would be the hot dog and those chewy brownies they have. On the Capitol Limited, though I did not eat from the Lounge, they had chicken wings and some sort of nacho entree that looked good. The new menus, both in the Lounges and Diners seemed greatly improoved from last year.
While the new menus around the system may be improved from last year (I don't know, I didn't take Amtrak in 2002), at least the ones I saw last month on a couple long-distance trains were a far cry from the old menus that were specific to each route. :( Those regional specialties were in many cases pretty good, and certainly made dining in the diner fun and interesting for cross-country travel.

Anthony said:
Amfleet said:
While the new menus around the system may be improved from last year (I don't know, I didn't take Amtrak in 2002), at least the ones I saw last month on a couple long-distance trains were a far cry from the old menus that were specific to each route. :( Those regional specialties were in many cases pretty good, and certainly made dining in the diner fun and interesting for cross-country travel.
I have only been on two trains when the national menus were not in affect and that was the Auto Train and the Silver Meteor. The Auto Train menu was limited (meat, chicken, fish, vegitarian), but good, and still has not changed today. On the Silver Meteor, however, the menus did not have any regional specialties, were poorly photo copied, and about half the items were not even avalible. I think I remember one member on this board mentioning the Dining Car crew on the lake Shore Limited taking scrap card board and writing menus on that. Todays national menu is a much improovment in my mind and has more selections for each meal and the quality is consistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back