Capitol Corridor Amtrak Train Routes.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my experience in the Diner with the Lake Shore. The waitress who seemed a bit ticked off and rushy (seems to be the trend on the Lake Shore) came over and handed us these really crappy looking torn up pieces of boxes with a few hardly legible entrees on it, she told us the rest. I ended up by getting the "USA Breakfast" or I think thats what it was called. It came with cereal, a good sized danish, I think toast (dont quite remember), some fruit, and a tall glass of orange juice, it was pretty good!!

Never got to try dinner in a dining car, Ill have to someday!! I hear the Amdeserts are great!!

Amfleet said:
I have only been on two trains when the national menus were not in affect and that was the Auto Train and the Silver Meteor. The Auto Train menu was limited (meat, chicken, fish, vegitarian), but good, and still has not changed today. On the Silver Meteor, however, the menus did not have any regional specialties, were poorly photo copied, and about half the items were not even avalible. I think I remember one member on this board mentioning the Dining Car crew on the lake Shore Limited taking scrap card board and writing menus on that. Todays national menu is a much improovment in my mind and has more selections for each meal and the quality is consistant.
That's terrible! For comparison, the Silver Palm in Summer 2000 had proper menus that were specific to that train. Some of the best food that trip that I've ever had on an Amtrak train. I recall a Cuban sub being excellent, as well as some plantains and Maryland crab cakes on the side of a dinner entree. While I've never seen cardboard hand-written menus, I always felt that the regional specialities added some character to each of the trains.

Amfleet said:
On the Silver Meteor, however, the menus did not have any regional specialties, were poorly photo copied, and about half the items were not even avalible. I think I remember one member on this board mentioning the Dining Car crew on the lake Shore Limited taking scrap card board and writing menus on that. Todays national menu is a much improovment in my mind and has more selections for each meal and the quality is consistant.
Yes, the national menu is very good, but I thought that Amtrak was rotating national menus so that the trains would still have different selections. Did this end or is it still being done? My most recent trips on the California Zephyr, Coast Starlate, and Sunset Limited all had exactly the same menus.

My only complaint is that it is hard to pass up the Chocolate Bombay dessert and it's on every menu - it is incredible! :rolleyes:

P40Power said:
I ended up by getting the "USA Breakfast" or I think thats what it was called. It came with cereal, a good sized danish, I think toast (dont quite remember), some fruit, and a tall glass of orange juice, it was pretty good!!
It's listed on today's Amtrak menu as "The Continental".

Yes, I would agree that it is one of the best breakfast selections on the menu. (I've tried them all on my rt LAX-ORL trip this July)

Maybe for each national menu there whould be a "Regional Specialty" which is served a dinner special and can have an influence from the route the train travels over. As for roating menus, no they do not rotate, but there are three menus that are spread thoughout the system. Amtrak did their best to arrange them so passengers would not end up with the same menu in one trip.

Amfleet said:
Maybe for each national menu there whould be a "Regional Specialty" which is served a dinner special and can have an influence from the route the train travels over.
Well, the dinner selection does include a "tonight's special" for $11 to add variety, but the tonight's special seemed to alternate every night between some sort of stuffed chicken and meatloaf. Both were pretty good though. Perhaps these are different for every train. Again, I am referring to my Sunset Ltd trip when talking about the two specials offered.

jccollins said:
Amfleet said:
On the Silver Meteor, however, the menus did not have any regional specialties, were poorly photo copied, and about half the items were not even avalible. I think I remember one member on this board mentioning the Dining Car crew on the lake Shore Limited taking scrap card board and writing menus on that. Todays national menu is a much improovment in my mind and has more selections for each meal and the quality is consistant.
Yes, the national menu is very good, but I thought that Amtrak was rotating national menus so that the trains would still have different selections. Did this end or is it still being done? My most recent trips on the California Zephyr, Coast Starlate, and Sunset Limited all had exactly the same menus.

My only complaint is that it is hard to pass up the Chocolate Bombay dessert and it's on every menu - it is incredible! :rolleyes:
On my recent trip on the Southwest Chief and Capitol Limited, the two trains had _nearly_ identical menus. The two differences I recall were the Chocolate Pyramid as opposed to the Chocolate Bombe, and the Three Cheese Quiche as opposed to the Vegetable Frittata.

Well I would rather have the chicken a bit overcooked compared to undercooked because if its a little too undercooked, you will be making many trips to visit the Amtoilets while you are aboard. But too over cooked, that is no good!! Gotta have it right in the middle!

Frankly, I have never heard of over cooked or undercooked chicken. Chicken is done when there is no pink in side and that's when I start eating it. I will admit though that chicken will dry up if not cooked properly. When grilling I always marinate it in a little BBQ sauce so it does end up going to the cats.

Back to the subject of Amtrak, my chicken on the Capitol Limited tasted very good (though kind of cool) and was perfectly cooked (or warmed???), but that is mainly becuase most every thing is pre-packaged in portaions by commision and all the Amchef will do is stick in the oven according to the directions (like a TV dinner).

So thats all the chef does pretty much?! I thought they did "from scratch" works for the most part, well I guess I thought wrong. Hey as long as they are good, I dont care how the entree was prepared or that it was pre packaged in some factory in East Chicago, IN or something!!

But still Im a bit dissapointed. . . man the Amcafe attendent does pretty much the same thing !!

P40Power said:
So thats all the chef does pretty much?! I thought they did "from scratch" works for the most part, well I guess I thought wrong. Hey as long as they are good, I dont care how the entree was prepared or that it was pre packaged in some factory in East Chicago, IN or something!!
But still Im a bit dissapointed. . . man the Amcafe attendent does pretty much the same thing !!
Well, I'm guessing in the kitchen of an Amtrak Dining Car things like mash potatoes, baked potatoes, rice, and vegetables sit in warmers and are served to the customers preference. The Chefs will still cook to order you beef. It would still take some culinary training to work in the Dining Car kitchen, but I think it is no different than what the cafeteria ladies do at your school. Needless to say, the Dining Car experience is still second to none as long as you have a good crew.

Amtrak Railfan said:
What kind of Food can the Passagers eat at Breakfast?
There are cooked eggs (up, down, or scrambled), pacakes, french toast, continental (cereal, choice of bread, yogurt, fruit), and then there is some sort of quiche. The eggs and quiche are served with breakfast potatoes or grits, your choice of a biscuit or croissant, and you can order sausage or bacon with any entree if you like. I usually opt for scrambled eggs with potatoes, biscuit, and suasage. Most will usually have OJ and coffee to drink.

Amtrak Railfan said:
What is a Quiche and what kind of Juices they have on the Train?
Quiche is like a pie made with eggs and is filled with cheese and vegetables. For juices Amtrak has orange, apple, and cranberry. You can view all three complete Amtrak menus here. Each one shows what is avalible for each meal, including drinks.

Amtrak Railfan,

You can click here to go to Amtrak's website and view the menus right on your computer screen.

This way you can see everything that Amtrak makes. :)

On this Train Route on the Cafe Car what kind of Burgers does the Route have? And what is on the Burgers?

Amtrak Railfan said:
On this Train Route on the Cafe Car what kind of Burgers does the Route have? And what is on the Burgers?
Don't forget to ask how much these burgers weigh...

<_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back