Capitol Corridor news 10/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
CC Rail Mail E-Newsletter -- October 14, 2005

In this issue:

1. Newark Tie Renewal Project

2. Temporary Service Change: San Francisco Motorcoach Bus (Oct. 15-16)

===================================================

1. Newark Tie Renewal Project

In order to increase track capacity and speed between Oakland and San Jose, Union Pacific Rail road will begin a massive tie replacement program starting Tuesday, October 18, 2005, that will impact Capitol Corridor trains to/from San Jose. Your patience, understanding and cooperation are appreciated. This project will be in effect from October 17-23, 2005. [click here for details]

2. Temporary Service Change: San Francisco Motorcoach Bus

As part of its West Approach seismic retrofit project, Caltrans will perform major demolition work on the Bay Bridge. This will require complete closure of the eastbound direction (the lower deck) of the Bay Bridge from 1:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 15, and from 1:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 16, which impacts early morning motorcoach bus service from San Francisco to Emeryville. [click here for details]

SuperlinerDiner - I appreciate your postings of the Capitol Corridor news e-mail updates on the forum (since I am one of the minority of forum users that live on the west coast), but I suspect that they are of little if any interest to most of the forum's members. People truly interested in them will subscribe to them by e-mail (as I did several months ago), so the posted information on the forum will be redundant.

Keeping that in mind, it is probably a waste of time to post them here since few probably read them and they are issued often enough to be a nuisance if each is posted as a separate thread. If you would like to keep posting them on the forum (some members, I'm sure, will find them useful), might I suggest that we start a new thread called Capitol Corridor News Updates, or something similar to that, and post all following news updates under that single thread since it will jump to the top of the list when a new post is made anyway? It's just a suggestion, mainly for the benefit of the east-coast majority of members here.

What do you think? Others please feel free to chime in. My main concern is that there are quite a few Amtrak line-specific (Amtrak Cascades, Empire Builder, Amtrak California DOT, North Carolina DOT, etc.) and organization-specific (NARP, TRAC, etc) newsletters and bulletins that are issued on a regular basis and publishing all of them here would seriously clutter the forum and shift the focus away from real discussions that are the majority of the discussion and posts here. If others see a need for regular postings of Amtrak-oriented service bulletins and newsletters perhaps it is time to start another forum discussion group (such as the commuter rail and model railroading ones also available) on this site to provide a dedicated place for them).

Again, please feel free to chime in. This is a discussion forum after all, right? Please don't read this as any kind of personal attack Diner, I enjoy reading all your posts and you are a valuable member on this forum.

:)

JC,

Like yourself, I am a left-coaster, interested mostly in Amtrak California news. I do enjoy reading the stories about other areas of the country as regards Amtrak and the various commuter rail systems around the country.

I am sure that the majority of the members of this forum feel the same way.

Setting up special folders for the different regions of the country would be at the disgression of the list owners

Are there really so many folks here that this would be a problem?

It seems that we're trying to head this off at the pass, but don't know what "this" is. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If such posting becomes an issue, it can be delt with at that time.

I would venture to guess that I am the only member of the forum who regularly rides the Capitol Corridor. My avtar is a Capitol Corridor train at the Sacramento depot. That said these posts do not bother me and if SD wants to keep posting them he should, and yes I too get the email updates.

This forum is about Amtrak, that includes Amtrak's Northeast Corridor, Amtrak's long distance trains, Amtrak California, and everything Amtrak in between. Railfans and curious potential passengers who are looking for information on Amtrak are going to find interest in this stuff, whether it is in their backyard or across the country. Just becase I live in New Jersey does not mean I support and follow news about Amtrak on the West Coast.

So I would be against "regionalizing" the forum, because as JCCollins said himself, those on the west coast are a minority. And therefore only posting in a "West Coast" subforum and looking for responses there, you're going to find yourself awfully lonely. :eek:

Back