Capitol Limited Changing Sleeper Car Number(s)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looked up my CL reservation for July 31st in Car 2900. I'm not seeing any service cancelled messages in my account, so it may just be temporary.

Rheavon, I agree and think this is only a Winter Consist event. Now and in February, the Capitol Limited has removed the transition crew sleeper as well as the baggage car for most if not all trips. Personally, I will never understand why Amtrak decided to change the car sleeper number to 2902 from 2900. Their curt answer is that the xx02 car is a refurbished car while they have removed the xx00 car for refurbishing. The silly thing is that xx02 or xx00 are not the equipment numbers of those cars. All Superliner sleepers are 32xxx. There is no reason that the car could not remain the xx00 car whether refurbed or not. It is not a problem for me as I will sleep well in my roomette no matter where it is in relation to the engines and I will be spending a night in Chicago before continuing my trip on California Zephyr.

I agree but interestingly, it was not just one agent since I called back to see if I could be moved to the 2901 car next to the dining car and was given the same reason by the second agent plus they only offered roomette 10 over the trucks at the end of the car so I chose to stay with roomette 3 in the 2902 car near the center of the car.

Just looked up my CL reservation for July 31st in Car 2900. I'm not seeing any service cancelled messages in my account, so it may just be temporary.
Same here, my reservation is for September in car 3000 and there's nothing about a cancellation. Jebr also mentioned a September trip on CL car 3000, didn't say anything about a cancellation either, so TT must be right about it being a seasonal thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't expect you to have that changing of car number happen in July or September. But, having said that, I will point out that I have April and June sleeper travel planned on the Coast Starlight and have not received the email or robo call that the PPC will be removed permanently before my travel dates. I did receive both notices regarding my February travel on the Coast Starlight. So I am just saying that Amtrak only notifies you about 30 days out of such events.

I was on 29 was-chi on the 19th in 2901 next to the diner. 2902 was directly behind the engine. The cafe was in the downstairs part of the observation car. Last time that I was on 29 or 30 the downstairs was blocked off in the observation car. The cafe side of the diner was not selling food/drinks because they said that the upstairs refrigerator was not working so the cafe menu was sold from the observation car downstairs.

I was in room 11 downstairs. It was an automatic assignment when I booked as a reward trip. I was in that room a couple of years ago on the EB and I liked then so I did not change it. Horn was going a lot so I put in my earplugs and it knocked it down enough to sleep okay.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Back