Capitol Limited CHI-WAS luggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Annie

My fiirst question is that I booked the Family Bedroom but it will only be two people - is that okay? The smaller bedroom wasn't available.
My second question is regarding baggage. I understand the 2 personal items and 2 carry-ons and that I can check 2 bags per person. However, the Family Bedroom info states that I could take 2-3 suitcases. Does that mean I can do 2 personal items and 2 carry-ons per person and then also bring 2-3 suitcases and keep them in the room. There would be space available as I stated there will be only 2 people in this room.

I do not believe there will be an issue with only 2 individuals occupying the Family Bedroom. I have seen only one individual in that room. FYI, unlike the regular bedroom, the Family Bedroom does not have a private restroom.

With regard to luggage, I have not seen crew members limiting the amount of luggage brought into rooms as long as the passengers are able to carry their luggage and there is space for the luggage. Also, there is a luggage rack downstairs in Superliner cars, which rack is very close to the Family Bedroom. Many passengers whose rooms are upstairs place luggage in that location so they do not have to carry their luggage up the stairs.

The Family Bedroom is a great train accommodation! I've traveled in it alone, with my wife, and with my sister; although I prefer the amenities of a Bedroom. There is not really any designated storage space (other than a thin closet), but there is plenty of room to put luggage on a seat or the upper kid's berth (the latter impedes access to the seat below and partially blocks the view out the window). My sister's suitcase fit under the seat but mine did not. I use the luggage rack outside the room for my suitcase when I am traveling with another person in this room.

One important tip: There is only one electrical outlet in the Family Bedroom, located on the wall next to the mirror on the door for shaving, but very inconveniently positioned for any other purpose. A ten-foot cord with a power strip will reach the shelf above the trash can, providing a place to set devices for charging.

Thanks for the information - really appreciated.
I just wanted to clarify regarding the Family Bedroom that besides taking to the bedroom 3 suitcases - can I also have the 2 personal items and 2 carryons per person. Reminder that there are just the 2 of us going to be in the room.

I just wanted to clarify regarding the Family Bedroom that besides taking to the bedroom 3 suitcases - can I also have the 2 personal items and 2 carryons per person. Reminder that there are just the 2 of us going to be in the room.
Generally if you can carry it aboard and off the Train, most Amtrak Crews don't care how much you have!

Checked Luggage is another story!

Also, there is a luggage rack downstairs in Superliner cars, which rack is very close to the Family Bedroom. Many passengers whose rooms are upstairs place luggage in that location so they do not have to carry their luggage up the stairs.
Somewhere in the not-so-distant past an Amtrak employee mentioned to me that the lower level luggage rack was actually intended for the use of passengers who were traveling to and/or from stations that did not have baggage service.

Somewhere in the not-so-distant past an Amtrak employee mentioned to me that the lower level luggage rack was actually intended for the use of passengers who were traveling to and/or from stations that did not have baggage service.
I would not go so far as to say that employee was completely wrong, but as far as I know, after I have travelled tens of thousands of Amtrak miles, all passengers are fully entitled to use the luggage storage racks if desired.

Sounds like another great example of Amtrak employees making up rules to fit their preferences of the day.

It is right there on page 67 of "Myths of Amtrak Service."

There is really as much room in the Family Bedroom for all the luggage you can carry--it just depends on how much seat space or floor space you want to take up with luggage. There is ample seat and floor space. That's pretty much all there is to the Family Bedroom, except for the previously mentioned tiny closet.

There is really as much room in the Family Bedroom for all the luggage you can carry--it just depends on how much seat space or floor space you want to take up with luggage. There is ample seat and floor space. That's pretty much all there is to the Family Bedroom, except for the previously mentioned tiny closet.
Yeah, the small kids' seat folds up, and you could probably put one bag there, just sacrificing some legroom from the main seat by that window. And you could probably get a couple of bags up on the kids' upper berth; you'll just have to duck under it when going to that window.

Well, for years I've chugged along on the Capitol Limited between Washington (10 minutes' walk from office) and Pittsburgh (5 minutes' walk from apartment), two stations with checked-luggage service, and have shoved my bag into the lower level rack. "Luggage must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled train departure." Fat chance I'm gonna leave work an hour earlier. Another made-up rule from someone in a uniform. Checking luggage at staffed stations is an option, not a requirement.

The cars were designed in an era when there was probably more checked baggage service available and less propensity to carry on. To say "intended for" is probably not far off reality. But no one has ever tried to stop anyone from using the racks, within the carry on limits. We all know there are plenty of folks who push the envelope on what they drag on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back