Capitol Limited & City of N.O Same Menu?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading about the new CCC on the Capitol Limited, and have read someone say that the two feature the same menu.(Including the pizzas, cajun,& ala carte) Has anyone else read or know about this?

Thanks & Best Regards

I have been reading about the new CCC on the Capitol Limited, and have read someone say that the two feature the same menu.(Including the pizzas, cajun,& ala carte) Has anyone else read or know about this?
Thanks & Best Regards
The Capitol Limited offers the full dining car menu, not the Cross Country Cafe menu. It is "temporarily" using a CCC car for food service, but the selections are the full-service dining items.

Thanks & Best Regards
The Capitol Limited offers the full dining car menu, not the Cross Country Cafe menu. It is "temporarily" using a CCC car for food service, but the selections are the full-service dining items.
I really wish it was temp... I don't much like the CCC, but then again is there really a difference between them? The food never really improves until you hop on a REAL diner.

Thanks & Best Regards
I really wish it was temp... I don't much like the CCC, but then again is there really a difference between them? The food never really improves until you hop on a REAL diner.
There is nothing "temporary" about the CCC on the Capitol Limited, it's permanent. Amtrak has stated that they no longer have enough diners to go around. Of course the reason that they no longer have enough regular dining cars to go around is because they are still busy converting dining cars to CCC's.

Had they stopped spending over $100,000 per car to convert dining cars to CCC's about a year ago, there would be plenty of dining cars for the Capitol Limited.

Thanks & Best Regards
There is nothing "temporary" about the CCC on the Capitol Limited, it's permanent. Amtrak has stated that they no longer have enough diners to go around. Of course the reason that they no longer have enough regular dining cars to go around is because they are still busy converting dining cars to CCC's.

Had they stopped spending over $100,000 per car to convert dining cars to CCC's about a year ago, there would be plenty of dining cars for the Capitol Limited.
Hence why I said I wished it was temp. I know its perm. And I know it sucks.

To be honest- the lounge (if it still exists in a few days) has the better fare. Ramen noodles!!!

To be honest- the lounge (if it still exists in a few days) has the better fare. Ramen noodles!!!
If Amtrak could just get away with feeding all of its sleeping car passengers Ramen Noodles, watch its operating costs sink and its profits soar!

If Amtrak could just get away with feeding all of its sleeping car passengers Ramen Noodles, watch its operating costs sink and its profits soar!
They make money off the food- usually, sometimes they screw up a lot and hand out free food- but still- their profits in food help offset losses in other areas.

They make money off the food- usually, sometimes they screw up a lot and hand out free food- but still- their profits in food help offset losses in other areas.
Amtrak doesn't make money off its food service. That's why Congress ordered Amtrak to cut the $100+ Million in food service losses, which led to SDS, the CCC, and Diner-Lite.

I dunno where you got that one, but they don't. Railroads have always lost money on food service, even in the golden era.

I dunno where you got that one, but they don't. Railroads have always lost money on food service, even in the golden era.
They sell a hamburger for what, 5 bucks?

Doesn't mean that they make money though. There are an aweful lot of expenses that have to be covered by those $5 hamburgers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't mean that they make money though. There are an aweful lot of expenses that have to be covered by those $5 hamburgers.
Well- I don't buy it until I see numbers on papers.

But I'll shut up.

I'm booked in a roomette on the Capitol Limited on Nov 4th. Do they take reservations for dinner for sleeper passengers? Is there a menu for the CCC Diners on the Amtrak website?

I'm booked in a roomette on the Capitol Limited on Nov 4th. Do they take reservations for dinner for sleeper passengers? Is there a menu for the CCC Diners on the Amtrak website?
The dining car steward will come by to take your room dinner reservations if you're boarding in DC. If you're boarding in Chicago, you'll make that reservation when you check into the Metropolitan Lounge.

While the Capitol is running with a CCC, they're serving the full dining menu—not a CCC menu.

-Rafi

The CCC on the Capitol uses this menu since it operates as a dining car only. It's the same one used on most of the other Long Distance trains.

The City of NOL does not use this menu, as it follows the CCC menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back