Capitol Limited consist recovery?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Senior moment! I even posted on your thread, my bad!

I haven't ridden the Eagle since this started! Double Days starts March 16, Taylor here I come! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the train go by Chesterton today. It had one unit and no baggage car. Does anyone know if Amtrak plans to return to the full consist? When I used to ride it I remember it having two engines, a baggage car and 7-9 Superliner cars.

Today's Limited 30(7) had 2 engines and no baggage when it went through Chesterton. Interesting to see some trains with it and others not. Maybe it will be added in DC or Chicago on its next turn.

Train 29(8) had 2 engines and no baggage car when it went by Harpers Ferry yesterday. The train seems to be different every day. Does anyone know if Amtrak is short bag cars? Like a previous poster mentioned, the train used to always have one.

Train 29(8) had 2 engines and no baggage car when it went by Harpers Ferry yesterday. The train seems to be different every day. Does anyone know if Amtrak is short bag cars? Like a previous poster mentioned, the train used to always have one.
It must have had a bag dorm.

If the CL is still in the slow season with fewer passengers checking luggage for connections to the western LD trains, the capacity of the coach baggage car may be more than enough. We will see if a baggage car is added in the next several weeks because traffic should start to pick up my mid-March with the heavy Easter travel period coming around the beginning of April.

I've seen the bag coach on the Capitol lately, even when it had a baggage car. How much room is in there? Could Amtrak feasibly put pallets or any other type of shipment in there without needing a baggage car?

The coach baggage cars can stand in for regular coaches, and are only required on trains without baggage cars.

The limited a few days ago had one of the new baggage cars on it!!

I saw the Capitol Limited by the cell today, 2 engines and no baggage car for those that were wondering.

Maybe they are transiting to the new baggage cars - and are just waiting for 3 new Viewliner baggage cars to be ready to be released to the Capital Limited. And in the mean time, they might just use the SL Coach/baggage combo car.

That seems unlikely. They've only sent one to Chicago, presumably to train the crews there. And it wasn't one of the first ones out. If they really were ready for service, I would expect to see them put on trains serving points that have seen the cars for a while.

Besides, Washington only originates one train with a baggage car, and none with Viewliners. Chicago isn't anywhere near the main single level bases of Hialeah and New York. I don't see any reason to start new equipment from yards that have far less experience with that type than other points in the system.

My completely random guess is that the NYP originating mid distance trains like the Palmetto, the Vermonter, the Carolinian and 66/67/65 will probably get first dibs. This will be followed by or in parallel with Atlantic Coast service and connected with that LSL since they share consists (sort of). And I am sure I will probably be completely wrong. OTOH, if our friend out of Albany has any leverage, it will be LSL that will get 'em first just like it did with Indianapolis.

30(11) had a full consist, plus two single-level cars on the tail, when it passed the Sand Patch webcam this morning

I'm currently on 30(12) but didn't make it too far up. I'll update when we get to the next "fresh air" stop. :)

Currently I can confirm that we have a Sightseer Lounge and CCC as well as two sleepers and three coaches.

Hmm...

Idle thought, but I wonder if making the lounge area of a CCC something like a First Class Only lounge after the SSL comes back is possible? Not anything close to being a PPC, but it would be a very easy and nearly zero cost thing to implement, especially since OBS is already assigned to the car.
I've thought this myself for a couple of years now........ the lounge area of the CCC would make a nice 'first class' lounge on any of the three one night out superliner trains....... Cap Limited, City of NO, or Texas Eagle.

Does anyone know the consist of 30(10) or 29(12)?
I was railfanning at Harpers Ferry yesterday with my brother. 29(12) had three sleepers, diner/lounge, sightseer lounger and three coaches (one may have been a coach/baggage car). There was no baggage car. 30(12) had a full consist (with a diner/lounge rather than a full diner), including a heritage baggage car. The last cars on the consist were an office car and the Beech Grove.

I'm on tonight's Limited out of Chicago. We have 8 cars, no baggage and 4 engines up front. 3 P42s and Acs-64 637. Our lead unit is heritage unit 145!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back