Capitol Limited Meals Eastbound

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevalDragon

Train Attendant
I have been on the Capitol Limited between Washington DC and Chicago many times, This weekend, I am riding for the first time between Chicago and DC.

I presume I will get dinner leaving Chicago and breakfast outside of Pittsburgh. Do they offer a lunch menu before we get into DC?

The last time I rode the Capitol Limited, there was supper on departure from Chicago and I was told there would be no lunch going into Washington unless the train was over two hours late. (It wasn't.) I believe breakfast ends later than normal if the train is on time, but I don't recall for sure.

I've ridden the Capitol Limited several times between Chicago and DC (both ways). Each time the train ran on time.

I always had a roomette. When I checked into the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago I was able to make a dinner reservation. They definitely serve dinner on the evening of departure.

The following morning there was breakfast service. And as previous suggested it ran later than usual. There was no lunch service.

If your in coach I think the Capital Limited has given up (I had dinner while sitting in Coach as late as 10:00pm eastern time about 5 years ago on board) letting you eat in the diner. I rode it home to Chicago from South Bend (once you factor in parking since we were staying the night it's cheaper than the South Shore Line) and we heard the dinner reservation announcements but no one ever walked through the coaches taking reservations.

Last edited by a moderator:
This wasn't part of the OPs question, just an interesting side note. You should be having breakfast while the capital limited is pulling the west slope of the historic sandpatch grade. There is a lot of nice scenery in that area

You'll make reservations in the lounge and with an early reservation you can be seated in the dining car before the train leaves Chicago. On our trip last August they were using one half of the infamous CCC car for dinner but it was a full dinner menu. As above you will receive breakfast the following day but no lunch..

The DC has to be totally cleaned, all inventory of food and supplies properly stored before arrival in the DC area. This means that with a 1:05PM arrival, Amtrak management has decided to just run a long breakfast. On the Texas Eagle, they do an "express" lunch since they arrive at 1:52PM in Chicago. When on the CL going into the DC area I eat a heavier breakfast plus I always carry snacks with me.

I will be riding the eastbound Capitol in two weeks. Is the longer than normal breakfast a "brunch" style menu? In other words, is it possible to have an early breakfast, then have an early lunch right before the diner closes? I would assume only one "breakfast" would be included in my sleeper fare?

I will be riding the eastbound Capitol in two weeks. Is the longer than normal breakfast a "brunch" style menu? In other words, is it possible to have an early breakfast, then have an early lunch right before the diner closes? I would assume only one "breakfast" would be included in my sleeper fare?
In the good old days(3 years,ago),before the Nickel and Dime cuts,one could have Breakfast,Brunch or,Lunch or a combination of two in the morning after leaving Pittsburgh on the Cap.

I used to have an early Breakfast since I wake up early when on a Train, then have a Veggie Burger or Amburger for an early Lunch (no desert!)

The choices were always limited, and it wasn't broadcast, but experienced travelers on this route knew about it and it was discussed on this Forum several times.

Now its One and Done!

We were offered only the regular breakfast menu. The dining car stayed open to around 11AM. If you chose an omelet, sausage/bacon, w eggs, a croissant/roll, coffee/juice its a decent size meal that should hold you over until you reach WAS. At WAS you can go to the food court on the lower lever to enjoy a number of different foods for lunch. Most are fast food concerns but there are some other food places on the upper level as well.

With the extremely tight inventory control in the DC, the number of food items used has to equal the items on the food tickets. Being that only one food ticket per sleeping car passenger per meal is allowed, the staff has zero flexibility for those who eat an early breakfast and want something extra before arriving WAS. Years ago, the DC would be flexible in order to make passengers happy, but back then they would do a single seating limited menu quick lunch so they didn't have much to do before arrival.

We were offered only the regular breakfast menu. The dining car stayed open to around 11AM. If you chose an omelet, sausage/bacon, w eggs, a croissant/roll, coffee/juice its a decent size meal that should hold you over until you reach WAS. At WAS you can go to the food court on the lower lever to enjoy a number of different foods for lunch. Most are fast food concerns but there are some other food places on the upper level as well.
Not to mention wandering outside and heading towards the Capitol where you will encounter a variety of good food cart offerings, especially during nicer weather.

In the good old days(3 years,ago),before the Nickel and Dime cuts,one could have Breakfast,Brunch or,Lunch or a combination of two in the morning after leaving Pittsburgh on the Cap.
The breakfast/lunch combo was still available last winter. Not sure exactly when it went away.

Back