Capitol Limited or Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qapla

Engineer
Later this year I hope to take an extended train trip. On my return I will be heading from Pittsburgh back to Florida. The return to Florida will be on one of the Silvers.

There are two Amtrak options to get from PGH to connect with the Silvers. One is the Capitol Limited to WAS - the other is the Pennsylvanian to PHL. I will be riding Coach ... not a sleeper.

I can catch one of the Silvers from either city to return to Florida ... time is not the main criteria for deciding the train, although, while there would be @ a 2 hour wait in Philly or WDC for each option, there is also an option with a 6 hour wait in WDC that is not an option in Philly.

Which train will be the best trip/view or experience.

Both trains offer beautiful views of the Allegheny mountains, the Capitol over Sand Patch Hill, and the Pennsylvanian around the world-famous Horseshoe Curve. The Capitol is somewhat more direct and used Superliner cars, the Pennsylvanian used Amfleet. The Pennsylvanian would also offer the opportunity to ride a good portion of the high speed NEC along the way. I would ride them both, if I had the choice... :cool:

If you've never done either I'd give the slight edge to the Pennsylvanian, and not just because of the Horseshoe Curve. The Allegheny Mountains are obviously beautiful and the Eastern PA stretches through Lancaster County are also nice and I find travelling over the Mainline into 30th St. fascinating. Not to mention the better train departure time out of Pittsburgh.

Sounds like the Pennsylvanian would be a better choice

If possible, the other trains would include

Silver (Either/Or/Both)
Empire Service
Maple Leaf
Lake Shore Limited
Blue Water
California Zephyr
Coast Starlight
Empire Builder 28 (PDX to SPK)
Empire Builder 8 (SPK to CHI)
Capitol Limited (from CHI to PGH)