Capitol Limited Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramerica

Service Attendant
A friend of mine is taking the Capitol Limited from Chicago to DC on January 5. He'll be in a roomette. I have a couple of questions:

- Will the CCC still be the diner?

- What is the normal CL consist?

- What time does the train board (for the 7:05 PM departure) and is dinner served?

Any other general tips for his second Amtrak trip (and first in a sleeper)? I already told him about tipping and the Metropolitan Lounge. (he's actually taking the Hiawatha earlier in the day from Milwaukee)

I'm super-jealous of his trip.

The CCC will probably be in the consist... I'm not 100 percent sure because it's been a couple of years since I have taken it. If there is a CCC around, I think it will be used just as a diner... you can still get snacks at the bottom of the lounge car.

There are usually 3 sleepers (1 being a crew sleeper)... CCC car (or dining car)... Sightseer lounge... and I think 3-4 coach cars.

I also believe you will get dinner out of Chicago... you will board around 6:20-6:35pm.

The Metropolitan Lounge is great!! That's about the only reason I make sure I keep Select Plus status with AGR... it's the only clean bathroom in Union Station normally. The free soda is nice too.

Unless there is some problem, the CL will run with a CCC as the dining car.

I concur with Robert about the boarding times from the lounge, and he will indeed get dinner out of Chicago. He'll also get breakfast and lunch the next day.

There are usually 3 sleepers (1 being a crew sleeper)... CCC car (or dining car)... Sightseer lounge... and I think 3-4 coach cars.
Her winter consist is usually lighter:

P42

P42

(I've seen a third if there's nasty weather)

baggage

transition dorm

sleeper

sleeper

CCC

sightseer

coach

coach

My group this summer found the CL to have the roughest tracks of any Amtrak train we have ever ridden. When we all woke up the following day we all kinda looked at each other and said, "that was a humdinger lats night wasn't pa!" :lol: We really enjoyed the crew and the scenery but the tracks are like sleeping in a bed with a jackhammer underneath you.

My group this summer found the CL to have the roughest tracks of any Amtrak train we have ever ridden. When we all woke up the following day we all kinda looked at each other and said, "that was a humdinger lats night wasn't pa!" :lol: We really enjoyed the crew and the scenery but the tracks are like sleeping in a bed with a jackhammer underneath you.
Welcome to CSX trackage.

The lines up to PGH are smooth as silk, especially going in and out of ALC-- but after PGH its like somebody turned on the evil vibrating massager in your bunk/seat.

Welcome to CSX trackage.

The lines up to PGH are smooth as silk, especially going in and out of ALC-- but after PGH its like somebody turned on the evil vibrating massager in your bunk/seat.
My second ride on the CL (from WUS to PGH) in September seemed much smoother than my 1st ride on it (PGH to WUS) in June. Then again in September, I had ridden overnight to WUS on 98 in coach, so maybe thats why it seemed better.

Welcome to CSX trackage.

My second ride on the CL (from WUS to PGH) in September seemed much smoother than my 1st ride on it (PGH to WUS) in June. Then again in September, I had ridden overnight to WUS on 98 in coach, so maybe thats why it seemed better.
I've ridden the CL no less than a dozen times... trust me-- CSX makes bad track. NS makes bad delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back