Capitol Ltd-California Zephyr Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x-press

Service Attendant
So, I've actually gotten my girlfriend to go for an Amtrak long distance trip in late summer, to redeem some of the guest reward points I've accumulated over the past two years. After examining the national map I provided, she got excited that the Zephyr goes to Granby, CO (where some relatives live). So, resisting the impulse to scream "DON'T YOU HAVE ANY RELATIVES THAT LIVE ON NON-UP LINES", I've set about planning this thing.

I'm not so crazy as to try to arrange a same-day connection eastbound between the Zephyr and Capitol Ltd, whether Amtrak guarantees it or not. Yes, I know I could get a free night in a hotel, but with the luck we've had with Amtrak in the past, it's just as likely we'll end up in coach on the late-night Lakeshore . . . NOT my idea of a vacation.

My question: Are westbound connections guaranteed from the Capitol to the Zephyr (meaning Amtrak will somehow "take care" of you if they are missed)? I'm not sure I'd do it even if they are (either staying overnight in Chicago or flying Southwest), but I'd still like to know.

In monitoring these trains the last few weeks, it appears that the Chief was often held when the Capitol had its rash of disasters last month . . . but not the Zephyr. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks in Advance (wish me luck!)

JPS

My question: Are westbound connections guaranteed from the Capitol to the Zephyr (meaning Amtrak will somehow "take care" of you if they are missed)? I'm not sure I'd do it even if they are (either staying overnight in Chicago or flying Southwest), but I'd still like to know.
Yes, it doesn't matter which way you are going, all connections between all the LD's in Chicago are guaranteed. So if NS does torpedo the Capitol, it will still be Amtrak's problem to get you to your ultimate destination.

In monitoring these trains the last few weeks, it appears that the Chief was often held when the Capitol had its rash of disasters last month . . . but not the Zephyr. Is there a reason for this?
There are probably two good reasons that the Chief get's held, but not the Zephyr. The first is simply that the Chief leaves an hour later, so delaying it for another hour isn't the same as delaying the Z for two hours.

Second, the Chief is likely to at least loose no more time and might even make up that lost hour or so. Whereas the Zephyr will only continue to loose still more time. Perhaps too much, such that it won't be possible to properly clean the train once it does get to Emeryville in time for an on time departure the next morning.

I suppose that it's also possible that the Chief has more passengers transfering to it.

I'm on The captial Limited in May to connect to the CZ to reno. My problem is that there is no way to plan for missing my connection to the CZ. Ileave a day early coming back so I can get to work on time if I miss the connection to the east coast. I'm at a lost as to what I can do leaving on my vacation. Simply because if you plan to arrive a day later and everything runs OK you have no hotel reservation until the next day. Any ideas?

I'm on The captial Limited in May to connect to the CZ to reno. My problem is that there is no way to plan for missing my connection to the CZ. Ileave a day early coming back so I can get to work on time if I miss the connection to the east coast. I'm at a lost as to what I can do leaving on my vacation. Simply because if you plan to arrive a day later and everything runs OK you have no hotel reservation until the next day. Any ideas?
Well unless you booked a hotel with a non-refundable reservation, most hotels have a 24 hour or less cancellation policy. In that case knowing that you missed the connection and will be a day late, assuming that you have the direct number for the hotel, you should be able to call them and redo your arrival date for one day later without penalty.

If you are pre-paid, then things get tougher, but even then you might still find the hotel to be cooperative if you carefully explain the circumstances and problem. Even if they won't refund part or all of the first night, it should still be possible to get them to hold the rest of the reservation for you.

In canceling, or changin a hotel reservation, I would be careful about making sure that the room rate does not change. For example, I have booked weekend rates at hotels for Saturday and Sunday nights. If for some reason, I move to canccel that saturday night rate, the rate for Sunday suddenly jumps up to a higher rate. Sometimes this jump is more than 50 dollars a ngiht. So choose your hotels careflly, and check.

:rolleyes: I have the same problem. CL to CHI for a CZ connection same day. Hotel is pre booked with a 3 day cancel deal. Iam always a go with the flow kind of guy about Amtrak. This however could cost me the price of one days hotel. If I could not make a deal with the hotel. Plus a days time. You cant buy time. Ours is a AGR trip and is almost impossable to change last min. So we will go with the flow. <_< To top it off we way be detoured to boot. This is in May . Amtrak is an adventure and I would not have it anyother way.

:rolleyes: I have the same problem. CL to CHI for a CZ connection same day. Hotel is pre booked with a 3 day cancel deal. Iam always a go with the flow kind of guy about Amtrak. This however could cost me the price of one days hotel. If I could not make a deal with the hotel. Plus a days time. You cant buy time. Ours is a AGR trip and is almost impossable to change last min. So we will go with the flow. <_< To top it off we way be detoured to boot. This is in May . Amtrak is an adventure and I would not have it anyother way.
might suggest the travelodge downtown (just a quick cab ride from CUS)? although their rooms are nothing to crow about, it's close, it's cheap, and you can cancel your reservation the same day without charge if you do it via their website. i'm sure some chicago natives on the board here might be able to help with other suggestions for folks looking to book hotel rooms in case of misconnects.

just out of curiosity, does amtrak have a regular hotel they use to hold sleeping car passengers that miss connections overnight? does it vary? i assume since their responsibility is limited to transportation that if they offer a bus ride to catch up with your train you cannot refuse and ask them to keep you overnight in a hotel for the next day's train?

our first trip on the 'eagle started with a five-hour bus ride. wouldn't recommend it to first-timers, especially those having had to be coaxed into taking the train in the first place. ^_^

-- eliyahu

austin, tx

well I talked with customer service today about my concerns about making the connection from the CL to the CZ. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot that they can do. I've noticed that they seem reluctant to whole the CZ for any length of time. So I guess I'll let it be another adventure like the eariler guy said. wish me luck on May 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back