Car damage from AutoTrain?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone experienced car damage from the AutoTrain? We want to try the AutoTrain but have read some reviews from folks who experienced significant damage to front wheel bearings due to the method used for securing the wheels. Any feedback is appreciated!

When deciding whether to book the Auto Train, I did much research, including watching some videos that I found on the process of getting the cars on and off the train, and asking many questions on this forum. I had a brand new car and was concerned, obviously, about keeping the car in as good condition as possible. What I learned reassured me that the car would be safe. And, it was.

I've traveled via Auto Train 4 times in the last 2 years, with a 2019 Enclave, and have not experienced any issues.
However, in 1998 we took our 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan on the Auto Train, and it had a broken tie-rod issue, upon our return to Lorton.

Seeing as most cars are shipped from the factory by rail and or ship, the method of securing should be foolproof. I guess the constant rocking motion of a train could increase an already issue with a loose wheel bearing. Same with a tie rod, another part that has bearing type connections on either end. I imagine having a problem is rare.

Back