Car movements in Atlanta

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Timothy

Does anyone remember any details around the adding and dropping of passenger cars (trains 19 & 20) in Atlanta during the 80s and mid 90s. I think it may have at one time involved the dinner and sleepers or slumber coaches anyone know for sure ?

Timothy

Yes, in the early 90's when I lived here in ATL they would sometimes add 2 sleepers, a diner, mail, and a few coaches. That all changed around 95 or so I think, but Bill might have some more specific dates. They took it down to a few coaches, then just mail, then nothing at all like it currently is.

Exact equipment details vary through the years. But at its height, it was about two coaches(more on weekends), two sleepers and one slumbercoach. (oh yeah and a mail car or to) on a regular basis. Many years ago there was a dome observation lounge ADDED in Atlanta to go to NOL.

I do not remember the diner as such being dropped in ATL . HOWEVER, there have been times when the Crescent only operated three days a week south of ATL. SO that could cause one to think the diner was getting dropped, I think. When there was a Gulf Breeze, the diner stayed with the Crescent below BHM and the lounge went with the Gulf Breeze to Mobile . But the diner, as such, being dropped in ATL, I don't think so. But one could easily remember seeing the whole train dropped in ATL, on those days it not go further south.

I do not remember the exact years the NY-ATL cars were dropped.

I have fond memories of looking out from the MARTA train, between Arts Cent and Lindbergh station tryng to spot the cars laying over in the yard..

I recall they would be brought into the station northbound about 30 minutes before it was expected.

I also remember when I would be a passenger coming north from NOL watching out the windows to see the ATL-NY cars waiting on a siding to be added. That told me we were very, very close to the station.

Finally, many people traveled coach during the day from NOL and intermediate stops and boarded their sleeper in ATL. So, those ATl sleepers wre not just for folks living n ATL. BUt all south of same. There used tobe just one through sleeper all the way from NYC to NOL.

As recently as 2 years ago, coaches were dropped in ATL on 19 and then added to 20 on a daily basis. This all came to an end when Amtrak discountined maintaining a yard crew in ATL. The crew were not employees, but contacted help and the costs were quite high - apparently more than the cost to haul the extra coaches to NOL and return.

Now, if 19 or 20 are terminated in ATL, it is necesary to bring in a mechanical crew from NOL or FL to service the trains. The local road foreman and engineers can do the wye movements to turn the consist.

Interesting, haolerider, about the real reasons behind the things that happen.

I think you shared this with us recently(about crew or lack of same in ALT) durng recent hurricane and flood problems and the train had to be terminated in ATL. (and the lady in Gainesville who cleaned the train).

Back on one of my original points, I am glad both sleepers now go all the way to NOL. There was that mentality back then that "the sleepers are not added until Atlanta", people not realizing there was one---just one--sleeper which went all the way to NOL if you were lucky enough to book it in time.

First thank you, I asked the question because I came across a photo of Southern Switchers working/pulling car (sleepers and a slumber coach) off the South bound crescent in ATL. This picture sparked the question and started me to think about what happened to the market/ demand that filled those sleepers and the NYC-ATL slumber coach.

I remember during the mid eighties the size of the crescent and at two different times since the Amtrak take over that it was three times a week to NOL but it seem to always be a large train. I also discovered that it at one time originated in Boston.

Now, with an understanding of current equipment levels, shouldn't there still be a market for that service? (if equipment was available?) In addition, it is apparent to me that Amtrak’s equipment levels hamper it from making the kind of revenue generating consist adjustments that would benefit it in many markets outside of the seasonal stealing of sleepers for the Florida services. Thoughts.

Corretion to my previous post:

First thank you, I asked the question because I came across a photo of Southern Switchers working/pulling cars (sleepers and a slumber coach) off the South bound Crescent in ATL. This picture sparked the question and started me to think about what happened to the market/ demand that filled those sleepers and the NYC-ATL slumber coach.

I remember during the mid eighties the size of the crescent seemed to indicate healthy ridership. I also remember as discussed that at two different times since the Amtrak take over that it was three times a week to NOL but it seem to always be a large train. I also discovered that it at one time originated in Boston.

Now, with an understanding of current equipment levels, shouldn't there still be a market for that service? (if equipment was available?) In addition, it is apparent to me that Amtrak’s equipment levels hampers it from making the kind of revenue generating consist adjustments that would benefit it in many markets outside of the seasonal stealing of sleepers for the Florida services. Thoughts.

Back