Cardinal from Huntington, WV or Charleston, WV?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colobok

Service Attendant
I am planning to ride Cardinal through New River Gorge next summer and I decided to start it Charleston, WV.

Now I am thinking - maybe I should start it in Huntington, WV?

Huntington departure is too early - 7:10am.

How is the area between Huntington and Charleston? Does it worth riding?

I am planning to ride Cardinal through New River Gorge next summer and I decided to start it Charleston, WV.

Now I am thinking - maybe I should start it in Huntington, WV?

Huntington departure is too early - 7:10am.

How is the area between Huntington and Charleston? Does it worth riding?

I have driven between the two cities hundreds if not thousands of times. But I haven't taken the train in the daylight, but can't imagine it to be much different than what you see on the Interstate. In fact, the tracks follow the Interstate route much of the way. A few small town, rolling hills and lots of forested land.

I would think about trying to board the train in Huntington for several reasons...

First, There is a nice hotel near the station and the mainline CSX tracks - "The Pullman Plaza Hotel" which dates back to the golden era of railroading. It was originally built to accommodate the RR and rail travelers. And it looks to me like they have really fixed it up over the years, plus it's location near the railroad, make it a good combo with the trip on the rails. I have never stayed there, but plan to do that one day.

And a few other reasons... I do like the scenery between Huntington and Charleston. The National Historic Railroad Society has even run special excursions through Hurricane, WV as well as St. Albans. Both towns are very nice and quaint. And it is a rather scenic area with nice rolling hills, towns, grade crossings and farmland. Plenty to see.. I know I was once sent up there to cover the steam train excursions in Hurricane and St. Albans - when they had a national gathering there around 1990 or so. Several daily steam excursions were arraigned on that line.

And if the Cardinal is running late - which could very well happen, you will have a better shot at breakfast in the diner.

I know that if the Cardinal was actually a daily train, I would really look at Culpepper, Va to Huntington, WV as a nice two day round trip - very scenic. And I would try to do that at least once a year. But the darn 3 day requirement - with every other day service kind of spoils that. I don't really want to spend that middle day in Huntington.

I was reading back on older topics posted when I ran into this one, and sorry I wasn't able to add any comment until now. Really wish I'd caught this one when you first asked, but I believe there's something to the old adage "better late than never."

Part of the overall comfort with your trip will depend on how, and when you intend to get to "Point A," after your departure from Tampa, whether it be driving a rental, flying in, or riding the greydog, or however else may be possible under the circumstances.

Since you're talking about taking east-bound #50, don't exclude Ashland, KY from your list of possibilities. Because of what I've seen so far, this town is on my list of places I'd connect and ride the hound from or to, since the bus station and Amtrak stop are in the same location, and the downtown hotel is a minimal stroll away. Your earlier departure would allow you to follow more of the Ohio river to begin the journey.

Huntington has much to offer with Marshall U. being a driving force of the community, and the previous hotel suggestion is good, and not your only option. I have walked from that area to the Amtrak depot, but I don't recommend the trek for most. A pre-arranged hotel shuttle (if available) or cab would be just fine. The same applies if you're considering a bus, but flying in/out never seemed to be a practical option once considered.

The Amtrak station for Charleston is across the Kanawha river from downtown, and the Holiday Inn I've always stayed at can be eyeballed, but I sure wouldn't consider walking there, or anywhere else from the depot. Forget that it's the capitol of West Virginia, that's another part of town. There's enough to do close by, and the bus station is not far away. If you're flying, the airport is way up on a hill somewhere else!

Since you're taking #50, the main recommendation I'd make is that you get there the day before your departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back