Cardinal has 2 grade crossing accidents

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Two vehicles were struck by the same Amtrak train Friday at crossings just 12 miles apart. The driver of the first vehicle was killed but no one on the train was injured in either accident.
''It's very unusual for the same train to be involved in a second accident in the same day,'' Amtrak spokeswoman Karina VanVeen said. ''Unfortunately, railroad crossings can be very dangerous.''
Details are here.

Grade crossings would not be so dangerous if drivers would pay attention and not do stupid things. Remember the old saying: stop, look, and listen! Nobody does that anymore--except school bus drivers (by law); they stop, but I wonder how well they look and listen--and know what to loo and listen for! I ride city buses, which don't have to stop, and I wish they would, especially when I am riding on them and across a track. I might be a victim. I know better. But I wonder if it isn't better for people to hurry across the track and out of the way.

People, if they aren't going to stop at crossings to look, at least they can slow down and keep an eye and ear out. Whatever kind of signal, treat it as a caution sign.

Whether or not there are signs saying so, it is not a good idea to stop on the tracks (waiting for a light, to turn, etc.), and yet I see many people do that.

I have seen another kind of grade crossing "accident" here in rainy Oregon. The activation of the signal comes as a complete surprise to the motorist, causing him to slam on his brakes, and in turn causing the driver behind him to rear-end him!

Just be careful and use common sense. We all know that trains can't stop on a dime, taking up to a mile and a half to stop. Sudden stops often derail the trains themselves, trains with people on them. Trains don't need to be going very fast for them to crunch a car like a soda can. Don't be so much in a hurry that you put yourself at risk. Turn down the radio, hang up the cell phone while approaching a crossing. Don't wait for the signals to be activated to be on the lookout. The signal may start as you are going across. Tracks sometimes curve around a bend or building, making trains less visible until it's too late. Just be extra careful.

Remind your friends and family members to be extra careful around railroads--stations, tracks, crossings, even onboard the trains themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back