Cardinal travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
Still mulling over this December trip on the SWC and the Cardinal to Charleston, WV. I think I know what we want to do on the Chief but for the money for two Cardinal Viewliner Roomettes, I hear these pre packaged, nuked try meals are not very good. The last time I rode the Cardinal, it still had a heritage diner and good food. What about this tray meal stuff, will the boys eat it? Will the wife?

While I admit that I've not ridden the Card since it lost its Superliners, it's my understanding that the meals being served to sleeping car pax are of the same style and caliber as those served to First Class passengers on the Metroliner service and the former Acela Express service.

While those meals are quite a nice as those served in Amtrak's diners, they are better than any meal I've ever been served on an airplane. They're better than normal cafe car food, but not better than meals in the diner.

I just rode the Cardinal from NYP to IND in Feb. I thought the food was terrible, especially lunch. Served on plastic plates and hardly any selection. At lunch I had to pay for dessert as none came with the really bad tuna sandwich and chips I had for lunch.

I didn't get to have breakfast as we were a little early getting into IND. I did go to the car for coffee and they didn't have brewed decaf. Had to have instant!

Is it because there are no dining cars available, not even heritage, or is it not enough crews that they don't have one on the Cardinal? Maybe there are not enough through passengers.

Is it because there are no dining cars available, not even heritage, or is it not enough crews that they don't have one on the Cardinal? Maybe there are not enough through passengers.
They only have a dinette car, no regular diner car. The train only has four cars, 2 coach, 1 sleeper, and the dinette. Several of us spent the afternoon in the dinette as we could sit easily and chat. I never saw anyone in the coach end of the dinette, even at meal time.

I was the only passenger in the sleeping car from NYP to Washington DC and therefore the only one for lunch. There were only 5 sleeping car folks in for the dinner. So, I don't think they have enough business to justify a regular dining car.

There were several scheduled stops (pick up only) that the train never stopped for. Assume there wasn't anyone to pickup so they kept on going.

Midland Valley said:
Is it because there are no dining cars available, not even heritage, or is it  not enough crews that they don't have one on the Cardinal?  Maybe there are not enough through passengers.
It's a lack of dining cars that is the reason for no diner. Amtrak carries 22 diners or diner/grills on the roster. Normal service requires the following.

Code:
Silver Star      4
Silver Meteor   4
Crescent          4
Lake Shore      3
                     ___
         Total      15

NY spare           1
Hialeah spare    1
That's a total of 17 cars for sure. I don't think that they keep a spare in Chicago or New Orleans. Additionally they might actually allocate 4 to the Lake Shore, even though I think that they can get by with 3.

That leaves 5 cars available by my estimates. Figure that 1 or 2 are always out of service for heavy maintenance and inspections. I'm not sure if any are out of service for wreck repairs. Additionally I know that Amtrak still has a few Temoinsa kits left, so it is possible that 1 or 2 are being retrofitted.

However, even if none are out for wreck repairs and rebuilds, that would still leave only 3 to 4 cars, depending on maintenance. The Cardinal would require 2 cars, I think, which is cutting things very close. Especially during the winter months when Amtrak has freezing problems.

That more than anything is why the Cardinal and even the 3R's when it was running, have no dining cars. Crews are certainly not the reason, as Amtrak can always hire people.

I also don't think that lack of business has anything to do with it either. When I rode the Cardinal with Superliner equipment, the diner was packed.

I rode the Cardinal after the Superliners were phased out and it had a Heritage Diner. I had breakfast on the trip into Chicago and dinner on the way out of Chicago. It was packed!

If Amtrak's funding situation ever allows the return of diners to the Cardinal, I think that sleeping car patronage will increase almost immediately.

If they want diners with this new emphasis on making money on the LD trains, their going to have to encourage coach passengers to make better use of them.

What do the dining car crews do when the car is closed and the dishes are done?

Midland Valley said:
What do the dining car crews do when the car is closed and the dishes are done?
Sleep!

Those crews have have a 13 to 14 hour day, on days were they serve all 3 meals.

Midland Valley said:
If they want diners with this new emphasis on making money on the LD trains, their going to have to encourage coach passengers to make better use of them.
I've seen plenty of coach passengers using the diners on trains. Especially on the Superliners, where typically one side of the diner is coach seating while the other is sleeper seating. Many's the time that the coach side is full.

It's a little harder to tell on a Heritage diner, but again, I've seen plenty of coach pax in the diner.

If the Cardinal only has four cars, is there any other cars attached to the train?

Tray meals or not, I'm anxious to ride the Cardinal again, even if only to Charleston. But it's from there on that the excitement starts; the New River Gorge and Hinton and Thurmond, wow! Is there wany way this train could be marketed as the only through train to Philadelphia from Chicago? I know it is a slower train, but then maybe they could make it a daily which would be much more attractive for people in scheduling.

P.S. After all these years, why hasn't the Cardnal been allowed to be daily train? I remember when they were talking about making it a D.C.-Cincinatti train and that didn't make any sense at all. If they decided it was worth keeping as a through train, why not make it a daily?

Midland Valley said:
P.S. After all these years, why hasn't the Cardnal been allowed to be daily train? I remember when they were talking about making it a D.C.-Cincinatti train and that didn't make any sense at all. If they decided it was worth keeping as a through train, why not make it a daily?
Lack of money and equipment.

I've ridden it as far as D.C. several times. The East bound Cardinal is, (for me) the best scenery from a train East of the Mississippi. It has to be Amtraks best kept secret. It wouldn't hurt though if CSX wuld trim the trees and brush a little along the New River.

I don't know what congressperson got the law passed that made it manditory for there to always be a Cardinal, but God bless em!

Which side is the best side to sit on going to NYC to see the scenery or does it matter? How about on the way back to Indy?

Guest_Gingee said:
Which side is the best side to sit on going to NYC to see the scenery or does it matter? How about on the way back to Indy?
Left side, hands down, the New River Gorge is on that side. Going to NY that is. Coming home due to the hour you'll be hitting New River Gorge, you might actually be better off on the left side again. That way you'll get some nice views of the bays between NY and DC.

Thanks. I'll keep saying left side, left side and maybe I will remember it when we get on board. Now watch all the left side seats be taken.

Midland Valley said:
I've ridden it as far as D.C. several times.  The East bound Cardinal is, (for me) the best scenery from a train  East of the Mississippi.  It has to be Amtraks best kept secret.  It wouldn't hurt though if CSX wuld trim the trees and brush a little along the New River.I don't know what congressperson got the law passed that made it manditory for there to always be a Cardinal, but God bless em!
Actually it was Senator Robert Byrd, whom the GOP tends to associate with his early years involvement with the KKK.

I have had the opportunity to meet Sen. Byrd in person on a couple occasions in the course of gathering news. His condition really has deteriorated in the past couple years. Even so, he plans on running for office again in 2006.

As we have noted, he was and is a staunch supporter of Amtrak. This past year, he tried to have the Senate provide $1.4 billion for Amtrak's budget. It went nowhere, but he did try.

Why WV tourism doesn't promote the Cardinal more is a mystery to me, but Charleston, WV has a reputation for mediocre state government.

Back