Carolinian Business Class question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles785

Service Attendant
My daughter has booked a business class seat on Carolinian #80 - 16F - and is wondering if that might be a table seat.

I'm not familiar with the configuration of business class on that train and wasn't sure if it was a dedicated car or not, and I haven't traveled in coach cars for a long time. Would anyone know if this would be a table seat or if the chair seatbacks have drop-down tables?

Or would any tables on the train be in the cafe - or dining - car or in the lounge car? I wasn't sure of the consist on the Carolinian, having traveled only on long distance routes.

Thanks for any information

What type of car are they using? The Carolinian is a LONG route and I wouldn't want to pay extra to sit at a table from Charlotte to NYC that's for sure. Is it clear when booking what type of seats that are offering you?

I'm a railfan and "Amtrak enthusiast" and I didn't know these existed. Those table seats should not be sold as an upcharge unless it's clear to the customer. Do you get to select seats after you purchase? (I tried a fake booking - didn't see any way to select a seat until after payment).

I'm a railfan and "Amtrak enthusiast" and I didn't know these existed. Those table seats should not be sold as an upcharge unless it's clear to the customer. Do you get to select seats after you purchase? (I tried a fake booking - didn't see any way to select a seat until after payment).
Yes, you can change seat selection as much as you want after purchase. I don;t think there is any up charge for table seats at the present time.

Well, it's a "business class" car, so a set of table seats can be a desirable thing for people on their way to/from a meeting. The upcharge is from coach to business class car, not for the particular seat. Since you can switch on your own after you purchase, it really isn't a problem. It is a very long run (the longest I believe) for a State (NC) Supported train. These cars are very common on the NEC.

Since you can switch on your own after you purchase, it really isn't a problem
Disagree; it's ridiculous Amtrak doesn't let you select your seat before payment on regular business or either class on Acela. For the prices they command, I would want to know if there were one-seaters available before completing my payment for Acela First.

I don;t think there is any up charge for table seats at the present time.
I meant an upcharge from a coach. I wouldn't want to pay extra to sit at a table for such a long journey. I would much rather sit in coach. If it was clear when passengers were booking that they were receiving a table, that's fine, but it's not.
Disagree; it's ridiculous Amtrak doesn't let you select your seat before payment on regular business or either class on Acela. For the prices they command, I would want to know if there were one-seaters available before completing my payment for Acela First.
Exactly, I agree 100% and last time I rode Acela from Boston I was booking last minute and since I couldn't tell what kind of seat I would get in 1st class I just went BC. Would have gladly paid the extra if I knew I was getting a window seat.

That can be handled with a phone call. Would it be better if you could see seats ahead of time, yes. I just don't see it as such a big deal. Regular BC seat reservations was a big improvement by itself.
This is a very common feature on airlines and railways around the world; Amtrak's IT is just stuck in 1985.

IMO Northeast Regional seats should be assigned as well; it's a nightmare finding seats on a busy train, especially with more than one traveler because all the single riders take the window seats in each aisle.

Amtrak's reservation system is outdated, and a better system for seat reservations would be nice. I just don't see it as as big a deal as some do, since with a little effort you can change, or you can reserve over the phone with no extra fee, which some airlines charge. There are plenty of airlines that don't have reserved seating or happily charge extra for seat selection.

Amtrak's reservation system is outdated, and a better system for seat reservations would be nice. I just don't see it as as big a deal as some do, since with a little effort you can change, or you can reserve over the phone with no extra fee, which some airlines charge. There are plenty of airlines that don't have reserved seating or happily charge extra for seat selection.
Good points, PVD! It is surprising that (at the very least) Amtrak doesn't have a "charge extra for seat selection" policy, which would bring in revenue at the very least. Not to say I necessarily support that, but there are some situations on Amtrak where a reserved seat would be nice. But based on my Amtrak knowledge I fear that their refusal to end to the antiquated paper seat check system and manual marshaling of passengers to the "right" coaches based on their destination (at least trains I've ridden) would sink any major changes. I'll dream, though!

In all seriousness, I can't imagine Deutsche Bahn, SCNF, or really any modern passenger rail provider wasting time at every station stop having conductors shouting confusing directions about the correct coaches to board at, etc. I obviously get why Amtrak does it--managing the load of the coaches as they do makes the best of a bad system--but it is so silly. I've had this system lead to more delays when, boarding at Raleigh, we were *first* told to board a certain coach for a couple given destinations by one conductor. A whole group of people went to that car, only to be barked at by another conductor and told to go back and board a different car. Ridiculous! Even if the delays of this method are "built in" to the schedule, that's not a GOOD thing, since it only leads to longer schedules than necessary. Not to mention, I've seen it confuse and bother novice passengers, but then again, Amtrak is very good, sadly, at confusing and bothering new passengers🙃

A whole group of people went to that car, only to be barked at by another conductor and told to go back and board a different car.
Oh, don't get me started.

Station Agent on Platform: You're in the 2nd sleeper, head on down and you can board.
Passing the first sleeping car attendant: Hey where are you going? Let me see your ticket! Ok... you can go to the 2nd sleeper but WAIT AT THE DOOR!!!
On the way to the 2nd sleeper passing a Conductor: "Hey where are you going? You're supposed to wait at the end of the platform until I tell you you can board!!!"

On the way to the 2nd sleeper passing a Conductor: "Hey where are you going? You're supposed to wait at the end of the platform until I tell you you can board!!!"
We had a similar experience at Memphis during a OTOL Fest while boarding the CONO southbound. Alan and I were heading to our Sleeper, when a Conductor accosted us and asked us how come we were not following the instructions and waiting in the station. We said that the station agent was unable to read his mind remotely and asked us to go to the Sleeper. The Conductor was not amused, but at least he did not ask us to drag our bag and baggage back to the station just to satisfy his ego.

Back