Carolinian: Greensboro to NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet tea

Service Attendant
I was recently in western NC for a wedding. In part because of weekday cancelations (trackwork), I decided to drive down from NYC and take the train back up. The drive — via Skyline Drive and parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway — was beautiful, despite plenty of rain. After the wedding, I returned the car in Greensboro and caught the Carolinian back north.

Greensboro station is beautiful and a nice place to wait, though I was only 20 minutes or so early. I’m not sure if there was a separate waiting area for business class, as I didn’t think to look, but the main waiting area was sunny and comfortable. I had gotten less than an hour of sleep between the previous “night” of driving down very foggy CCC roads from a mountain top on the Tennessee border and the “morning” drive from a B&B south of Asheville to the Greensboro airport to return the rental car. (FYI, cab from the airport to the train station was $27 without tip but with “fuel shortage” surcharge. Trip took about 20 minutes with no traffic.) Sitting on the long wooden benches at the station, I met three sisters there who looked so much as if they were part of my family that I struck up a conversation with them. We didn’t find a family link (though one of them had dated someone with one of our family names), but as it turns out, our people are from close enough to each other that we’re talking the same gene pool anyway. I love North Carolina.

The train arrived more or less on time — I wasn’t keeping careful count. Business Class was 2+2 seating and the train was full, so the attendant told us to pair up. Luckily, I wandered on board behind a very nice young woman who commutes from Greensboro to DC weekly, and we ended up sitting together. She offered me the window since I’m not here as often, and I enjoyed seeing my home rush by, between cat naps. I hate to waste a daytime train trip by sleeping, but at a certain point, my brain ceases to be in charge of that decision.

Service was nice. Drinks offered at least 4 or 5 times between Greensboro and NYP. Maybe more — I did doze off. I didn’t get offered a paper, though some folks had them. Maybe they brought their own? It didn’t seem worth fussing over. Drinks were usual sodas in small cans (served with cups of ice) plus water and orange and apple juice. One man asked for coffee and the attendant offered to bring it and also told him he could show his stub to the cafe attendant for free coffee.

By the time we were in Rocky Mount, we had lost about half an hour, which stayed lost to DC. Engine change was pretty quick, but we still ended up about 20 minutes late into NYP.

Pictures of the whole trip here.

2915663003_0275cb3e69.jpg

2915664469_7e84c1480b.jpg

2916512184_68ff84397a.jpg

2915670073_48722134ca.jpg

...and a few from the road:

2916519050_07ea5cb8b6.jpg

Work on a new station in Durham.

2916523368_49427b9f9b.jpg

I woke up for Rocky Mount

2916524818_575066fc51.jpg

I do love watching the cotton fields go by.

We also drove through Martinsburg, WV, earlier in the trip, in the hope of finding a ticket machine or station agent to print my ticket in advance. No such luck -- the station isn't manned for most of the day and has no machine -- but did see the beautiful restored roundhouse. Too bad you can only walk over to it during Rail Days.

2915661954_a6da65039b.jpg

(more in flickr set)

Hi,

Although I have visited USA several times, and traveled many thousands of Amtrak miles, N.C. is not an area I am familiar with. I have to ask what it was about the persons in the waiting area that made you feel you might be related? You must excuse my ignorance, as I am from the UK, and have no knowlege of the local population.

Ed B)

Hi,
Although I have visited USA several times, and traveled many thousands of Amtrak miles, N.C. is not an area I am familiar with. I have to ask what it was about the persons in the waiting area that made you feel you might be related? You must excuse my ignorance, as I am from the UK, and have no knowlege of the local population.

Ed B)
oh, i only meant that they looked a lot like members of my family -- one of the women looked just like my grandmother and another like a cousin. since both my grandmother and that cousin are related to the part of our family that has lived in and near the NC mountains for hundreds of years, it seemed entirely possible that we were blood. (we're those scotch-irish hillbillies who were kicked out of your place so long ago.) in fact, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised to discover that we are related after all -- i asked about one of our family names, but didn't run down the list. these sisters were from a different part of the mountains, but if their family's been there a while too, what are the odds we're not all mixed together by now? i mean, you can't only date your cousins, right? ;)

Sweet pics. I have a good number of pics from the station when I spent the evening there waiting on the Carolinian to Crescent transfer in July. Unfortunately it's in the bad part of town, but I still managed to walk to the park downtown and eat my packed lunch. The Greensboro station staff was very nice. Beautiful restoration, but I prefer to spend the night at the Charlotte station since the benches are more comfortable and you can walk right outside and up to the tracks.

New station in Durham looks like it's gonna be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back