Carolinian - service disruptions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to make reservations on the Carolinian for Thursday May 17th from Kannapolis to Wilson, but amtrak.com claims there is no train that day. I've taken this run a couple of dozen times, so it leads me to believe that there must be some CSX track work. But, nothing is listed on the "Service Disruption" link on Amtrak.com.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm trying to make reservations on the Carolinian for Thursday May 17th from Kannapolis to Wilson, but amtrak.com claims there is no train that day. I've taken this run a couple of dozen times, so it leads me to believe that there must be some CSX track work. But, nothing is listed on the "Service Disruption" link on Amtrak.com.

Anyone have any ideas?
The interlocking at Fetner (Cary) will be worked on in May. Don't know if that's what's causing the problem or not.

jb

I don't know what an interlocking is, but I would say that's a likely reason. If I try and go from DC to Raleigh on that date I can choose from the Carolinian and the Silver Star. If I change my destination to one stop further, in Cary, my only option is the Silver Star. If I go one stop further to Durham, Amtrak says maybe I should travel on Friday. There are some lovely trains going to Durham on Friday. I hope you will give some serious thought to Friday travel.

If you reverse travel, Raleigh to DC is fine except you have to take a bus to Rocky Mount to catch the Silver Star. You can also catch that bus in Cary, but there are no provisions for the Carolinian. And if you wanted to start in Durham, it won't pick you up until Friday. The Piedmont, which usually runs twice a day between Raleigh and Charlotte, only has the early morning run.

It all seems consistent with idea that somewhere in the Raleigh/Cary/Durham area the tracks will be unavailable after morning.

Looking at CLT to RGH (which goes through CYN), only the Piedmont 76 is shown on the schedule (5:15pm-8:26pm; of course the Piedmont does not go beyond Raleigh in the eastbound direction). Looking west is the same situation; only the 73 Piedmont is running from 6:45-9:55am from RGH to CLT. That would suggest that the Carolinian will not run between Raleigh and Charlotte and the midday Piedmont service will be cancelled.

Trying various itineraries suggests that this will be going on from:

Tuesday-Thurday, May 8-10

Tuesday-Thursday, May 15-17

No information has been posted to NC Amtrak site (bytrain.org), so I would pay attention there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back