Carolinian Truncation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
I've looked both on Amtrak's site and NCDOT's site (bytrain.org) and don't see any mention of a disruption, yet when I explore booking a Carolina trip from Charlotte to Baltimore on 9/18, all that comes up is the Crescent. 9/19 offers the Carolinian, while booking a RGH-CLT trip on the weekdays of this week shows train "1079" as the option of choice in the Carolinian's slot.

Any ideas?

Not a clue. Finding the same thing as you. Interestingly, on those days that you can book 1079 and 1080, if you book from CLT to SEL, you get trains 79 & 80.

Must be something going on in the system. Weird.

I sent off an email to Customer Service, and am awaiting a reply. Toying around on 9/15, it seems that 79 was operating New York to Richmond (couldn't book this train to Petersburg) and 1079 was operating Raleigh (or maybe Selma) to Charlotte (couldn't book from Rocky Mount).

I expected that maybe there was track work going on that had the route blocked, but 91 is still shown as an option on these dates. I'm awaiting the reply from Customer Service before booking the thing, as I want to make sure there's not some bustitution from Richmond to Raleigh.

got my reply...

Thank you for contacting us.
There Is Trackwork South Of Richmond, VA Scheduled In September.

CSX Will Be Carrying Out Trackwork During The Day South

Of Richmond, VA On September 15-18, September 22-25, And September 29-October 2. On Those Dates -

- Trains 89 And 90, The Palmetto, Are Cancelled Entirely.

No Alternate Transportation; Take Other Trains.

- Southbound Carolinian:

Train 79 Operates NYP-RVR Only.

Nothing Operates RVR-RGH; Take Other Trains.

Train 1079 Operates RGH-CLT Only.

- Northbound Carolinian:

Train 1080 Operates CLT-RGH Only.

Nothing Operates RGH-RVR; Take Other Trains.

Train 80 Operates RVR-NYP. (Local Passengers Handled WAS-NYP.)

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Good reply. Thanks for posting. Wonder why Silver Services aren't affected? The Crescent doesn't go through Richmond, so that makes sense, but the Silvers do...

Most likely because the Carolinian is a day train only (leaving 740AM from Charlotte and NYC each direction) and of course such track work has to be carried out in daylight. With the others passing through the affected area in the evening they are less affected.

For a split second I almost flipped when I saw this post. I thought that the route was going to be cut. Highly doubtful though the Carolinian (and Piedmont intrastate) are heavily funded by NCDOT and quite popular usually running sold out now.

Just to follow up - I got a call from Amtrak today. My 9/18 reservation on the Silver Star (92) now has a 2 hour move-up, presumably due to the trackwork. Instead of leaving Raleigh at 8:54am, it will now be 6:54am.

Looks like Breakfast in the Diner is a sure possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back