Carry-on Entertainment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Amtrak Lover

Would any of you loyal Amtrak enthusiasts want to see Amtrak participate in a new program where kiosks within your stations rent and sell:

*Portable DVD Players

*DVDs

*Nintendo Gameboys

*Books on CD

*iPods

*Childrens's media such as Disney Leapstart

Giving you options for the long hours aboard the train, well what do you all think?

This is an idea that has some definite potential. The only issue I would see is with inventory control and theft prevention. If there is a way to solve those problems then it just might work.

You nailed it tp49 - the problem would be the inventory control and theft. Amtrak had tvs in all the Pacific Business class cars until the Amtrak CREWS stole most of them from the trains! :ph34r:

It might actually be better to have the items on board the trains for sale/rental so that passengers could use them and return them even if they were boarding or detraining at one of the growing number of unstaffed stations.

Amtrak Lover said:
Would any of you loyal Amtrak enthusiasts want to see Amtrak participate in a new program where kiosks within your stations rent and sell:
*Portable DVD Players

*DVDs

*Nintendo Gameboys
This post sounds like it's from some marketing shill, first of all. :angry:

This is a non-commercial forum, not a dragnet for channel marketing surveys.

Repeating my reply about DVD players topic, from Sun, Jul 11, 2004, 05:39 PM:

This idea stinks. In 2002 when riding the California Zephyr from Chicago to Sacramento, some trailer park trash boarded in Utah. They must have saved their aluminum beer cans for years, as they could afford a Standard Bedroom across the hall from mine, diagonally one removed.

Forget enjoying the scenery, pleasant conversation, or reading. They had to crank up the volume on their portable DVD player loud enough for the entire car to have to endure the B movie that mesmerized them. Finally the Conductor requested they turn it down or turn it off after the Attendant already had requested they do so.

Every day I ride coach on commuter heavy rail. When I take my vacations I always travel First Class for more quiet and more peace. Renting DVD players to the masses won't work. Of course passengers always can view the movie in the Sightseer Lounge (as I often have done).

I don't think Amtrak should become involved in a deal like tha beyond leasing retail space in a station- treat the business like news stands, fast food restaurants, and bars.

At the current time, Amtrak's main priority is (or should be) to operate passenger service from point A to point B as safely and efficiently as possible with the best customer service they can offer (of course there's improvement to made in that customer service depart in certain areas). Amtrak also is facing equipment constraints as many folks know, too. We need to be able to upkeep our motive power as well as maintain (or bring up to a state of good repair as Mr Gunn says) our facilities in which we own, too. And we also need to get the passengers cars "up to snuff" so to say, so there is an ample supply of passenger cars for y'all to "ride in" to use those electronic devices! So IMHO money would be well spent on not undertaking such a program, or signing into an agreement with another company to do so. Amtrak doesn't need that liabilty at this time. It sounds as if it may be a good idea in the future, however, I really don't see such a need for that sorta program. It seems as if just about every passenger has some sort of electronic device with them as they travel, so I just don't see a real high demand. I may be wrong, though.

I believe some airports have a similar type of concession where you rent a DVD movie on one end and drop it off at the other. This works well for travelers with either portable DVD players or DVD-equipped laptops. A validated credit card provides the security for return of the DVD.

Outside of the NEC, Amtrak really provides too small a customer base to support such a third-party concession. There is no way, for example, a concessionaire could make a go of such a business in Denver with just two trains and maybe a couple of hundred or so passengers a day. It would be an interesting addition to the lounge car concession, however.

As for the use of equipment such as DVD or CD players (or even scanners carried by railfans) disturbing other passengers, that is a problem that Amtrak can solve. It is simple. The train crew should tell the offending party to either turn it down, turn it off, or use headphones. If the crew simply ignores the problem the racket disturbs the rest of the car, the train crew is at least as much to blame as the noisemakers themselves.

By the way, we should avoid stereotyping people with broad-brush, derogatory labels (trailertrash?) and stick the specific details of the incident. People are people regardless of their economic wealth or the style or nature of their home.

There are now DVDs that change color in 24-48 hours after exposure to the air making them useless. They can be purchased for the same price as a rental without having to return them. I would like to see them sold at major stations. They could even be in a vending machine.

You would need your own laptop or DVD player to use them.

:eek:

I am shocked that this idea has such mixed reviews. Amtrak offers nothing for its 25 million riders to entertain themselves with, never is on time, and gives boredom a new level.

This would be excellent in the NEC, and some sort of on-train rental program would sayisfy the people who board at smaller stations.

Amtrak is in a horrific state, and any sort of amenity upgrade or revenue source must be implemented with all effort.

NY Guy said:
:eek:
I am shocked that this idea has such mixed reviews. Amtrak offers nothing for its 25 million riders to entertain themselves with, never is on time, and gives boredom a new level.

This would be excellent in the NEC, and some sort of on-train rental program would sayisfy the people who board at smaller stations.

Amtrak is in a horrific state, and any sort of amenity upgrade or revenue source must be implemented with all effort.
Well you made your original post in a forum full of people who already like Amtrak. For most of us riding a train, any train be it Amtrak or other, is fun. We don't get bored staring out the window and watching the beautiful country roll by. And America is a beautiful country if one stops long enough to take a look.

One of the best ways to see America is by train.

As for Amtrak being in a horrific state, that is a matter for debate. But I can tell you that selling or renting DVD's isn't going to change its state one way or another.

New trains, the power to fine the freight RR's that make Amtrak late, getting more money from Congress, these are things that will help to change Amtrak for the better.

If you want entertainment, bring a book. It's cheaper, it doesn't break, and there is no danger of disturbing your fellow passengers.

I think that NY Guy makes a excellent point that railfans often miss. Most train rides are long trips by travel standards. Even in the NEC, a trip from Providence to Philadelphia is longer than a transcontinental flight. A trip from Washington to Philadelphia takes the same time as a flight from Washington to Chicago. And, for long distance trains, a ride from Oakland to Portland is longer than a non-stop from San Francisco to Sydney Australia. While railfans are easily entertained by the shear fact of riding on a train, the average passenger may not be enthralled with the experience hours upon hours on end.

Compared to ten or twenty years ago, inflight entertainment aboard many aircraft is a technological wonder. JetBlue offers multi-channel Directv at every seat. Virgin Atlantic has multiple movies, TV offerings, even games. Even US Airways offers video on demand on its AB 330-300 transatlantic flights. But Amtrak has virtually nothing for trips every bit as long, and sometimes much, much longer than long-haul flights. Amtrak’s onboard amenities have not appreciably changed in 33 years. Even the brand new Acela offers three bland audio channels and nothing else (except if you count the non-stop advertisements on the message board). Looking out the window has a short half-life for entertainment value and bringing a book is, for better or worse, not really considered entertainment anymore.

I have first-hand experience with this problem. One of the reasons I do not travel by Amtrak very often is the fact that my wife very quickly gets bored on a train, and I can’t blame her. There is no at seat entertainment. The lounge experience, particularly in single-level service trains, leaves a lot to be desired. Even spectacular scenery after an hour or so gets ho-hum. She finds that dining is about the only thing to look forward to and far too often that is not much to write home about either food or service wise (plus she is not fond of the communal seating).

Amtrak and railfans have to realize that they are in competition for the travel dollar. A product has to be offered that provides amenities and service that matches the expectations of today's customer. A seat, a window, and a book for will not cut-it in 2004. NY Guy and the non-railfan traveling public will simply head to JFK and take JetBlue instead.

I enjoy train travel. To me flying is great ifyou have to be there quickly. Remember on a plane you are sitting in cramped quarers and you can't move around. On a train you have room to stretch your legs,walk around,eat in the diner car and go to the sightseer car. The train is much more comfortable than a plane.

Portable DVD players are coming down in price and they are capable of playing CD's. Usually there is an ACoutlet at your seat so you can plug it in. There really is no need for consessions renting DVDs when so many people bring their own.

Witha DVD player,a book and the ever changing scenery,that is enough to sustain me,no matter how long the train ride.

I love train travel. You can unwind and take time for yourself. With a DVD player for entertainent to augment the ride..its a winning combination.

Back