Cary NC Amtrak station to Raleigh-Durham Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kneemeister

Train Attendant
Next month I am going for a one week training across the freeway from RDU, in Morrisville. I will we be arriving on 79 from New York on Sunday evening and leaving on the Silver Star the next saturday morning. What is the transportation situation between the Airport area and the Train station.

Arriving I am not so worried about, as I have all evenign to get to my hotel, but the next Saturday morning I need to know how early I need to be picked up by uber or taxi. I will be staying at the Cambria Suites, I am thinking I will rent a car at the Airport and return it friday after my last class. Or is rental available at the Cary station?

There is no car rental at Cary station.

Buses run between the station and the airport, on weekdays only.

The best possible travel time (with no traffic and a tailwind) by car between Cary station and the airport is 20 minutes. So allow an hour in case your ride decides to take I-40 and it's backed up. Back roads will take a half hour, but they won't get jammed up like I-40 does. On the other hand, you won't be traveling during the rush hour, so things shouldn't be too bad.

92, since it's coming all the way from Florida, can be anywhere from on time, to several hours late. Make sure you keep track of it so you'll know when to depart for the station.

jb

I completed my trip last week, it was very easy to get from the Cary station to the Airport and back from my hotel using Uber. It was around $13.00 each way. All my trains were close to to on time by Amtrak standards.

I drove to Waterloo and arrived just in time to watch the Captiol Limited make its Stop, I than sat in the wonderful "new" station and chatted with the volunteer and checked out all the cool memorabilia that they have on the walls. I also stood on the deck and watched several freights roll by, The Lake Shore Limited arrived 45 mins late around 2 AM, on Track 2 so they had to make a seperate stop for me, than the coach passengers. It was funny when the conductor steped off and said this first stop is just for Dave K. This was my first trip in a viewliner, 4810 room 5 and I am not sure I like the commode in the room, that side was the seat facing forward, and being that I am a big guy the seat was kinda tight and the commode hard to use. As far as the non dinner, dinner. I thought they did a good job with what they had to work with. Typical Microwave food, the French toast was a little spongy and the burger for lunch a glorified gas station patty.

I stayed at the Holliday Inn Express south of Penn Station in New York so I was only a few blocks from the Bombing. Luckly I checked in and went up to the Empire State Building so I got to walk back to 7 th Ave being closed and lots of sirens. On Sunday morning I droped my bag off at the station and visited the 9/11 memorial before catching The Silver Star in Coach to Cary, there were about 6 of us going to CYN from NYP and we were in the last car, which filled up in Wasington. We arrived about 30 mins late in Cary after a short delay just outside Raligh , and the Uber was there in about 15 mins to take me to Hertz at RDU.

After a week of training on our new Nurse Call system, I caught the Carolinian back to DC in Business Class. The coach was less than half full, and the Attendent took good care of us, I think I had 4 of the small sodas. This was the only train that had problems, we were close to on time at Alexandria, than sat in Crystal City for over an hour being passed by three freights a Ballast Train and the southbound Silver Star. There was signal work right where the Tunnel under Capitol Hill splits off. We finally arrived in Union Station around 630 and after a quick dinner in the food court, I caught the Metro to L'Efante Plaza and the Holiday Inn Captiol, Right next to the VRE station. I wondered around the Mall that evening, then after a good night sleep, I took my bags to Club Acela via the Metro then walked all the way back a block from my Hotel the The Air and Space Museum by way of Capitol Hill. After Lunch I wondered over to the Nationa Gallary and watched a Brass Rock concert on the steps, than took in about half the Gallary before walking up to Gallary Place metro station and back to Union Station. In club Acela there was no Ice and the pop machine was out of order. So I left again and went up to the top of the Garage and watched my Train back into the station, before heading back about 3:30.

I had room 10 in 2900 on the Capitol Limited, It was a plesant ride, and my Steak dinner was enjoyable. My attended was on dinner break when I wanted to go to bed so I made my bed somewhere around Cumberland and got up In Toledo for an ontime Arrival in Waterloo. and the 40 mile drive back to Bryan for work, arriving only 4 mins late vs. my normal clock in time, the boss was supprised to see me so soon.

This weekend I am doing it all over again, but this time After a 2 hour drive to DTW, a 1.5 hr Flight in a CRJ900 to RDU!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back