Cascade Tunnel on the EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsreeves

Train Attendant
So the wife and I will be heading out on the EB this March.

We are mainly traveling by train because of her fear of flying and claustrophobia.

I have neglected, so far, to tell her that we will be going through the longest railroad tunnel in the U.S.

Anyone have any experience with traveling with someone who may have had issues with the tunnel?

What time of day does the EB usually go through there (both westbound & eastbound)?

So the wife and I will be heading out on the EB this March.

We are mainly traveling by train because of her fear of flying and claustrophobia.

I have neglected, so far, to tell her that we will be going through the longest railroad tunnel in the U.S.

Anyone have any experience with traveling with someone who may have had issues with the tunnel?

What time of day does the EB usually go through there (both westbound & eastbound)?
Well the schedule lists departure from Everett on #8 for 5:39PM and from Leavenworth at 8:00 PM Since Leavenworth is about 30 minutes after leaving the tunnel, I would guess that you would enter the tunnel at about 7:20 PM

Number 7 leaves Leavenworth at 6:08 so I'm going to say you get into the tunnel at 6:45.

Both estimates are of course predecated on both trains being "On the Advertized"

As EMDF says, if the trains are on time, the westbound #7 will go through the tunnel at around breakfast-time, and eastbound #8 will get there around dinner. It takes about 15 minutes to go through the tunnel. You won't really notice anything except the lack of scenery, although you can sometimes smell diesel fumes toward the end of that period. If you are in a sleeper, I recommend that you close your compartment door to reduce the possibility of getting fumes from the hallway. The conductors usually ask people to not go between cars during that time, again, to reduce fumes getting into the train.

If you are going westbound, your wife could easily sleep though the tunnel and have breakfast as the train descends the Cascades mountains toward Everett -- french toast with a beautiful view! If that doesn't work, just keep track of the time. I've never had the traverse take longer than 15 minutes, and it can often be a minute or two less.

There is also another long tunnel on this route about 1 hour west of Whitefish, Montana. I don't know the exact details but this will be late at night west bound, and early in the morning (before breakfast if train is on time). I suspect the fumes will be the most upsetting part of the process with her.

If you tell her months in advance, then she might spend too much time worrying about it. If you don't tell her, there won't be as much stress leading up to it. Thought this depends on how she manages unpleasant surprises.

If the car attendant is alert and aware he or she should also snap off the ventilation fan switches for the car just before "holing in." I've been through Moffat a couple times and like to head back to the railfan window to get pics or video of the exit portal; it's pretty neat stuff.

Coping with tunnels: fear not, I have mild claustrophobia, and have been through this tunnel a couple of times with no problem.

:

Travel with a good flashlight handy in case the power ever goes out on the train.

If you are so inclined (and it has worked well for me and my wife) try a long kiss as you go through the tunnel.

(okay, I'm a hopeless romantic :) )

There is also another long tunnel on this route about 1 hour west of Whitefish, Montana. I don't know the exact details but this will be late at night west bound, and early in the morning (before breakfast if train is on time). I suspect the fumes will be the most upsetting part of the process with her.

If you tell her months in advance, then she might spend too much time worrying about it. If you don't tell her, there won't be as much stress leading up to it. Thought this depends on how she manages unpleasant surprises.
Yeah, I'm definitely not telling her ahead of time...she's a worrier anyway.I'll just wait until we are there and turn on the charm to defuse the situation.

Just so you know, they usually announce the Cascade Tunnel both directions and give a bit about it (8 miles long, etc) and that it will take about 20 minutes to traverse it. The Flathead Tunnel (3rd longest at 7 miles, the one near Whitefish) is usually late at night westbound and early morning eastbound, and they do not usually announce that one.

So you will have to deal with it being it being announced on the PA. Also, since they have to "flush" the tunnel of fumes after each passage, they often hold the train while the tunnel is being flushed from the last train. They'll announce that, too. So you may have an announcement as much as a half hour or more before you actually enter the tunnel.

I've noticed that noticeable fumes are much less in both the Cascade and the Flathead than in Moffat. They also don't announce that you refrain from moving between the cars as they do in the Moffat. The ventilation/air movement seems to better, don't ask me why, though.

After a quick search of all my DVD's of previous Amtrak trips, I found one in which, on a return to Spokane from Seattle in 2004, I had recorded the train as it entered the Cascade Tunnel. I also stood at the trainfan's window for the last few minutes of the trip through the tunnel so I could get a nice shot of the mouth of the tunnel as it retreated. (Well, the train was moving, not the tunnel, but you know what I mean. :giggle: ) At any rate, according to the time stamp on the video camera, the EB entered the tunnel on this particular trip at 7:25:04 PM and left it at 7:39:37 PM, meaning a trip of 14 minutes, 33 seconds through the tunnel. And this has been a typical trip in my experience, both in terms of the time the EB's I've been on entering the tunnel and the amount of time it took. I would note, too, that in March, it will be dark eastbound for awhile before you reach the tunnel so you won't see much scenery for awhile anyway. There are lights along the walls of the tunnel, at about 30 second intervals, so that breaks up the monotony. Westbound, from my experience, the EB enters the tunnel at about 6:45AM as EMDF9A says and again the trip takes about 15 minutes. I've never recorded the tunnel trip westbound; I'm usually too busy having breakfast. :)

See, I KNEW the many hours I've spent recording my train trips, which is a source of derision from my family members, would serve some useful purpose!!!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys goign to be in the sleeper car? If so, go to the room, and close the window draps, and then just tell her it's night time for the time being.

I have never had stress going through a tunnel except that it can get boring. Just go to the diner and focus on the food, the tunnel should be no problem. It's not like it will just collapse over you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back