Cascades #516 trainsets and features

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am taking #516 Business Class from Seattle to Vancouver next Tuesday, and I'm a little confused. I'll be grateful for any help with the following questions.
  1. I have heard there are two different types of trainsets on this route. Is this correct?
  2. And if so, is there any way of knowing in advance which one I'll be on?
  3. And whether it has 2-1 or 2-2 seating?
  4. If 2-1 seating is available, are there any pro tips for how to board in order to snag a single seat?
  5. Is Seattle the originating city for #516, or is it Portland?
  6. Do we clear customs at the border or after disembarking in Vancouver?
Thanks much for any clarifications you can provide.

Last edited:
516 originates in Seattle. It always operates with the older horizon equipment these days, so plan on that. Those have 2x2 seats unless your in business class (then it’s 2x1). You’ll clear customs after arriving the Vancouver station. Have a good trip!

516 originates in Seattle. It always operates with the older horizon equipment these days, so plan on that. Those have 2x2 seats unless your in business class (then it’s 2x1). You’ll clear customs after arriving the Vancouver station. Have a good trip!
Thanks! I'll just try to be one of the first to board in order to get a single seat. Maybe I can plead old age (83) :)

Thanks! I'll just try to be one of the first to board in order to get a single seat. Maybe I can plead old age (83) :)
Have they stopped assigning seats on the Cascades when one checks in at Seattle King Street? In the past IIRC I was assigned a seat when I checked in.

That's good to know. I'll defintely request a seat assignment at that time.
I would verify with someone who has traveled recently that the procedure has not changed. My travel was pre-Covid, and everything seems to have been turned on its head by the pandemic.

Following up on this I just checked with my friend in Seattle and apparently there is no guarantee that they would do so. At present they have such varied fleet that they often don't know for sure what is it that they will get. So consider being just early enough at the station to be at the head of the boarding queue.

Last edited:
Have they stopped assigning seats on the Cascades when one checks in at Seattle King Street? In the past IIRC I was assigned a seat when I checked in.
They have stopped doing seat assignments on cascades since COVID. It’s open seating now. At larger stations however they usually let those with priority (seniors, mobility impaired) board first, then they will do groups of 4, groups of 2, and then solo travelers usually board last.

They have stopped doing seat assignments on cascades since COVID. It’s open seating now. At larger stations however they usually let those with priority (seniors, mobility impaired) board first, then they will do groups of 4, groups of 2, and then solo travelers usually board last.
Yeah. So I discovered after talking to a friend from the Washington State version of Rail Passenger Association.

Back