Cascades Carryons

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sechs

Engineer
Upon closer examination of the schedule, I've discovered that no checked baggage is allowed on Cascades service to Salem, Oregon, southbound. (Apparently, it's hunky-dory northbound.) So, I'm going to have to carry-on my usual large hardside for the trip from Seattle. I've done this before, but on Superliner equipment. The bag is near the limits of what it allowed for carryon.

How is the luggage space on the Talgo equipment, and should I expect any trouble?

If it makes any difference, I will be in business class.

Thanks

I'm not an expert on the Talgo's, having only seen them once this past summer, but it seemed to me as though luggage space wasn't too bad. And the fact that you're in business will help a bit, since they tend to be more forgiving when you are in a premium class. I recall overhead racks and a compartment at the end of the car in BC.

I don't know just how convientent it might be, but you can also consider checking the bag onto the CS and allowing it to carry the bag to Salem. It might get there a day after you do, but if it's not too big of a deal to get back to the station, it might be an alternative. Especially if you are connecting into SEA from another Amtrak train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm only going to be in Salem for two days, it's theoretically possible to go without that bag. I don't know anything about the security of the stations in Seattle and Salem, so it's hard to be comfortable with basically leaving a large bag in each location for a day.

Do you recall how large the luggage area on the car was?

Thanks

Since I'm only going to be in Salem for two days, it's theoretically possible to go without that bag. I don't know anything about the security of the stations in Seattle and Salem, so it's hard to be comfortable with basically leaving a large bag in each location for a day.
Do you recall how large the luggage area on the car was?

Thanks
I think it is smaller than the Superliner. It says "luggage closet". I don't recall very well but it may be located by the door when you're boarding.

Most of the stations, except Seattle and maybe Portland, are like regular stations, nothing fancy. I don't know if there's redcaps at Seattle or not.

Just to round out this thread with a conclusion:

When I showed up in Seattle to pick up my tickets, I asked and was allowed to check my bags to Salem. Neither the ticketing nor the baggage folks gave any pause, and I saw the bags loaded onto the train. Even though we arrived late into Salem, someone from the station pulled off the bags; I was the only one who checked to there.

As for space, there's an area in the vestibule that I feel my large bags would have fit, had it been necessary. Between the racks and overhead bins, there's boatloads of space for smaller bags in business class.

I just rode on it in December. plenty of luggage space. over your head & otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back