Cascades Upgrades (With Wifi)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the way that all the seating is gone in the picture! Though perhaps behind the artist's view there is a more concentrated seating area...

Edit: Looking at the comments, no one likes it! So, based on the evidence that no one likes it, I am certain Amtrak will do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak has been tending to make over all the cafe cars that aren't in use on LD trains, to be standing room only. Acela is basically this way, and some of the Amfleet I cafes were convereted to a similar style.

Amtrak has been tending to make over all the cafe cars that aren't in use on LD trains, to be standing room only. Acela is basically this way, and some of the Amfleet I cafes were convereted to a similar style.
Yeah, but those are the misguided idiotic ideas of the thankfully now defunct George Warrington.

They have seemed to back off of that policy. I don't know what's going on with the Cascades, though. Probably death of the dining car for one thing.

Current design.

Redesign.

Comment:

Anonymous December 3, 2009 2:15:00 PM PST

Traffic patterns look awkward. Given that the line forms towards the dining car naturally, I see a lot of open empty space and two choke points at either end of the car.

The open space in the middle - without handrails or chairbacks to hold on to, will make getting through the car very hard for anyone with balance or mobility problems.

The stand up tables will be useless if the train is in motion.

Whole thing looks rather more like a pinball game than a welcoming place to eat.
My comment: the current design looks very warm and homey. The redesign looks cold and sterile.

Also, is it my imagination, or does the current design photo make it look like the left side of the car curves inward? Would this be a deliberate effort by WSDOT to make the current design look more cramped than it really is?

IMHO, the current design looks nicer & more efficient than the redesign! It does look like a pinball machine!
So if the car shakes to much does it display "TILT"

:rolleyes: :blink: :lol:

Aloha
No, in the case of the Talgos, the car just tilts itself. :lol:

Talgos have a passive tilt system built into them, which is why they can go faster than conventional Amtrak trains. Acela has an active, or powered, tilt system.

IMHO, the current design looks nicer & more efficient than the redesign! It does look like a pinball machine!
So if the car shakes to much does it display "TILT"

:rolleyes: :blink: :lol:

Aloha
No, in the case of the Talgos, the car just tilts itself. :lol:

Talgos have a passive tilt system built into them, which is why they can go faster than conventional Amtrak trains. Acela has an active, or powered, tilt system.
So what do (will) you have to do to get an extra ball (or more AGR points)? :D

That WSDOT is some busy forum! Sure are a lot of responses. Anyway, to the subjuect.....WiFi should become universal, as even Greyhound is slowly equipping its fleet with WiFI buses. The redesign of the bar car looks like they are more interested in maximizing revenue, rather then improving the travel experience. This reminds me of a Manhattan fast food....purchase your food then go elsewhere to consume it. Get 'em in, get 'em out. Increase turnover.

On the other hand, when the lounge seating becomes too comfortable, some people tend to make 'homes' there. They spend all day, sitting, reading, sleeping, etc. preventing others from eating their purchased food.

As for the water dispenser....there should be one in every coach, so there is no added congestion to the bar car. And the pedestal stand-up counter design seems inefficient to me. It would be better to have a stand-up counter along the windows instead. Would not intrude as much into the center of the car, and not have wasted gaps in-between.

Posted this morning on Facebook:

Amtrak Cascades Wi-Fi is on all Amtrak Cascades trains this week! We started the soft launch today and only our loyal Facebook fans are hearing about it! If you're riding the train this week, look for the network "AmtrakConnectCascades" and enjoy some FREE Wi-Fi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back