Catch That Thief!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKA

Train Attendant
I am leaving Gainesville, GA friday evening for a trip all the way around the country. My son and 17 year old grandson are going with me. Because of my work schedule I have to wait until the last minute to make reservations. I try to get a deluxe bedroom for the entire trip but that is not always possible. From GNS to WAS only coach is available and the fare is uasually $225.15 for coach for the three of us. Not Friday. It will cost $438.90 and that is with my senior discount. We must travel friday to make connections with the Sunset Limited later in the week. It seems to me that someone with Amtrak could get us the regular price since we are spending almost $4,000 in eight days on trains. Does anyone have any advice. Thanks.

R. B.

It's all about availability... the more seats taken, the higher the cost of the remaining ones.

Every travel industry does this, including the airlines. The key is booking early. Unfortunately if you can't book early you get stuck paying the highest fares (unless, of course you try to upgrade while on board the trains and then you can get a great deal.)

RKA,

While I certainly wouldn't hold my breath, I would try calling Amtrak and asking for a supervisor. Tell them what you've told us, that you are traveling all around the country in a sleeper. Give them all of your reservation numbers for the various legs.

I won't promise, but maybe just maybe, they might be able to kick you down one bucket for that coach seat and save you a few bucks. You'll never get the lowest bucket price, but heck even if they'd conceed to 50 or 60 bucks, it would help.

No promises though. They don't really have to do anything, but sometimes if you plead your case, you just might get lucky. :)

Is there a reason that the Explore America Fare can't be used. It is a fixed fare of $430 (entire country) for up to 45 days travel with the sleeper charge extra. With that fare the coach would be no extra charge. :unsure:

While the original poster didn't explain if the individual legs of the trip are booked separately, if that is the case then you are doing yourself a great disservice so far as the price goes.

Also, Amtrak won't recognize your connections and, should something go amiss, you may get overlooked when alternate arrangements are being made for the through passengers.

All continuous travel should be booked in one reservation.

You do save money when you book continuous connections. For instance, I practically get a free trip from Boston to New York when connecting to the Silver Meteor down to Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back