"Catch the Keystone" Advertising Campaign

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DivMiler

Lead Service Attendant
I saw a billboard for this this morning; I think it is new. It is promoting the Keystone service between Harrisburg (HAR) and Philadelphia (PHL). The website is http://www.catchthekeystone.com.

It even has a comparison of ticket prices between HAR and PHL and the stations in-between and the cost of travel, based on the IRS's mileage reimbursement amount (though it is currently US$0.550/mile, not US$0.585/mile as suggested at the website). Also, information about the Pennsylvania stations, such as if there is parking or shelter, is provided.

The continuing service to New York City is mentioned on the home page, but doesn't seem to be focus of the campaign.

The site is (to my eye) appealing and clear. I may not use it often, but it is nice to see some effort by Amtrak and PennDOT (PA Dept. of Transportation) to publicize the Keystone.

The site is (to my eye) appealing and clear. I may not use it often, but it is nice to see some effort by Amtrak and PennDOT (PA Dept. of Transportation) to publicize the Keystone.
Some of the information is inaccurate, unfortunately. Ardmore station is advertised as having a ticketing window and ticketing kiosk open until 11:30 PM (as well as the station itself being open until then); in reality, the only ticket agent at the window is a SEPTA employee who cannot sell Amtrak tickets, the QuikTrak is inside the station and hence inaccessible when the station building is closed, and the building actually is closed and locked at 5:00 PM. (The outside platforms are of course still "open".)

It's interesting that they list the coffeeshop as "food and drink" in the Paoli station, when it's completely independent from Amtrak or SEPTA (and while it is actually in the station building, it has a completely separate entry from the station itself); there's a diner, a coffee shop/bakery, a Cold-Stone, a pizza place, and an Italian restaurant all within a 3 minute walk of Ardmore station, but they don't get mentioned (but then, they're not actually in the station either).

The site design is indeed appealing and clear :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me I attempted to access the website when it went live with an iPhone.

Why, oh why, would PennDOT in this day and age build a website for people on-the-go, and NOT make it accessible from an iPhone?

Anyone with answers, kindly type. Thanks.

Seems to me I attempted to access the website when it went live with an iPhone.
Why, oh why, would PennDOT in this day and age build a website for people on-the-go, and NOT make it accessible from an iPhone?

Anyone with answers, kindly type. Thanks.

well frankly I don't think they even thought of that. In addition, the only way to easily get a page to look the way it does is by using flash. Apple's Mobile Safari Browser currently does not have a mobile flash applet. This is really not PennDot's thing. Its the need for flash support on the iphone. Spoiler alert: Firefox for iPhone will be out in the next week or two and will hopefully handle flash content.

Back