Celebrate the Coast Starlight's Return & Save 25%

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jccollins

Conductor
Celebrate the Coast Starlight's Return and Save 25%

Use Fares Code V212

With the track restored, the Coast Starlight is once again traveling along the breathtaking Pacific Coast north of Los Angeles. To celebrate the train’s return to its normal full route, Amtrak is offering 25% off the best available adult coach fare.

The Coast Starlight provides daily service to over 25 great destinations between Los Angeles and Seattle, and is one of the West's most scenic and relaxing experiences.

Terms & Conditions

Offer valid for 25% off the best available regular (full) adult and senior/disabled adult rail fare. Three-day advance reservations required. Valid for sale between February 14, 2005 and May 23, 2005, and for travel February 28, 2005 to May 26, 2005. Blackouts apply for the following date: March 24-28, 2005, plus per fare plan purchased. Valid for travel on Coast Starlight and applicable Thruway service, except not valid on 7000-8999 series Thruways. Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted. Valid in Coach only. Two children ages 2-15 may accompany each adult at half the adult fare. Fares, routes and schedules subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Refer to Fares Code V212.

The above information was pulled from Amtrak's website and can be found in its entirety over there: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...986340&ssid=224

Will that include the full train--with the Pacific Parlour Car included, which has been absent for a while?

I believe so Steve. The Parlour car has been whacked for a while since Seattle or Oakland crews are crewing the train, which isn't normal since it's an LA based train. Since it's stretching their boards pretty thin with all those extra jobs the Parlour car would just be one mor person they have to put on there. It also gives Mechanical some time to work on the cars, do a 180 day, repairs, whatever.

One more question comes up: according to TRAINS magazine, LA is the base of Amtrak employees for the Starlight. When the train isn't going all the way to LA, what does Amtrak do with the employees? Fly them to and from Emeryville (Oakland) to board and work the train, and/or do they have people based in the Bay Area that can be used on the train?

Well there are crew bases in both Oakland and Seattle that have extra boards that can handle the crewing (but can only be stretched so thin). As for the displaced employees from the Starlight most of them will have the time to roll on to another job. But for the most part Management is most likely taking the oppurtunity to catch some employees up on training (FDA, Rules, Service Standards, etc.), and temporarily expanding the extra boards and crewing on some trains. The Union most likely is preventing management from furloughing, so that's probably how things are shaking down.

They could be doing one of two things (this is pure speculation on my part). First they have a crew base in Oakland for the Capitols and San Joaquin's so the conductors could be coming from there while the engineers could be coming from either San Jose or Sacramento. Second is they could be lodging crews at the Jack London Inn for the trunkated starlate. I might be getting my bases confused though.

Well you gotta remember TP the Oakland already provides T&E for the Starlight, it's OBS we're talking about here. I know Oakland provides some OBS for Amtrak California, and maybe even the Zephyr (I don't know if that's Chicago or Oakland based). Also they could be coming from Seattle, since they have OBS for the Cascades and maybe the Builder (again I don't know if they're Chicago based).

So has the train actually started running, or not until Feb. 28th? I was actually planning a trip from Sacramento to Seattle on the 24th of this month. Maybe I should wait so I can get that 25% discount. Hmmm that changes everything now.

Chris

saxman66 said:
So has the train actually started running, or not until Feb. 28th? I was actually planning a trip from Sacramento to Seattle on the 24th of this month. Maybe I should wait so I can get that 25% discount. Hmmm that changes everything now.
Chris
The Starlight is running unaffected between Emeryville-Sacramento-Seattle currently and will continue doing so until February 28.

On February 27 the first #11 will leave Seattle and travel all the way through to Los Angeles, arriving on February 28. On March 1, the first #14 will leave Los Angeles and travel all the way through to Seattle, arriving on March 2.

I would advise booking your trip from Sacramento-Seattle now before the train begins to fill up and fares rise. I would assume that the trains will carry heavier loads initially when they first resume around February 28, so it might be cheaper to take your trip before the through service between Emeryville and Los Angeles resumes. Try checking dates and prices on Amtrak's web site before and after the 28th and using the discount code on trains after that date to see what you get.

battalion51 said:
Well you gotta remember TP the Oakland already provides T&E for the Starlight, it's OBS we're talking about here. I know Oakland provides some OBS for Amtrak California, and maybe even the Zephyr (I don't know if that's Chicago or Oakland based). Also they could be coming from Seattle, since they have OBS for the Cascades and maybe the Builder (again I don't know if they're Chicago based).
51 actually 11/14 change T&E at San Jose and Sacramento IIRC.

You are indeed correct tp, but San Jose crews it south, SAC crews it SAC-SJC. Besides which the job is a same day turn around so the crew will merely get off at OKJ instead of SJC.

Looks like the Starlight is finally once again going all the way between Seattle and Los Angeles, beginning this week. Yesterday, the northbound train had its full consist--including Pacific Parlour car--and was about two hours late; today, the southbound (same consist) train was also full service. Though in both cases only 9 cars, when there are usually at least 10 or 11. Hopefully business will pick up the full service picks up and word gets out.

For now cheap seats can be found on Amtrak's Rail Sale page: http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/WeeklySpecials . These specials have been available for a few days now, so don't expect them to stick around much longer. The rail sale availability page seems to change every four to five days on a random schedule. Grab a ticket now before it's too late if you're so inclined.

Looks like I'll be taking another Starlight trip from LAX to SEA or PDX. They have a good deal leaving in 3 weeks. Me and my dad are going to book a bedroom. I hope they have the normal cars. I like haveing 3 sleepers and whole long consist. Long trains are cool. I also hope its somewhat filled up. Think it will be for March 18th?

Chris

March 18th should still be on the winter consist: crew sleeper, 2 sleepers, parlour, dining room, sightseer lounge, 3 coaches.

One way I can tell that the Starlight is going the entire route is that it is once again constant in being late--I mean beyond an hour or so. The last two nights, it has gotten into PDX at about --or after--8pm. Like I said before, I don't worry too much if the train is in before (or right at) 6pm. Still, I think thi--being able to travel the entire route even if the train is a few hours late--than going only to Emeryville and trying to get other means of conveyance the rest of the way to LA.

The Cascades Talgo trains are running just fine!

Back