Cell phone issues for train crews

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Office of State Legislative Director Connie English, Jr.

Information this office provides is for the benefit of ALL members of your local. Please read it, print it, post on yard office bulletin boards, leave copies in the yard office and request that your local webmaster post it on your local's website. Your union wants to do a good job for you and with your help we can.

We received this information from SLD/GC George Casey, and while his experience is with CSX, we want you to be alerted that a similar problem could occur on your railroad.

Allow me to share what I think is a significant development concerning the Operation Testing Section of Emergency Order 26, Section (e)(2).

Today, I had a meeting with the FRA Region 1 staff in Boston. It was the result of a letter I sent to both CSX and FRA on October 3, 2008. The letter was in regards a report I had received that CSX was compiling a list of cell phone numbers from T&E employees for the purpose of operational testing in connection with EO-26. When I received my copy of EO-26, I noticed that operational testing by "cold calling" was expressly prohibited. I mistakenly assumed that this prohibition extended to any occupant of the locomotive cab on a moving train.

The significant part of (e)(2), page 26 & 27, states: "When conducting tests and inspections under 49 CFR 217, a railroad officer, manager or supervisor is prohibited from calling the personal electronic or electric device or the railroad-supplied electronic device or electrical device used by a locomotive engineer while the train to which he locomotive engineer is assigned is moving."

I was advised by FRA that this prohibition does not extend to the Conductor on the very same moving train because only engineer is referenced in the Order. I was shocked at this advise, and it confirmed my suspicion that CSX, and I suppose other carrier's, will use this tactic for operational testing against our members.

I guess forewarned is forearmed. I was hoping you would circulate this information to our Brothers in the Association of General Chairpersons District 1, and the National Association of State Legislative Directors. if you deem this information important.

Fraternally yours,

George T. Casey

General Chairman, GO-081

Legislative Director/Chairman, LO-024

Back