Cell reception on Zephyr eastbound EMY-CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deBASHmode

Train Attendant
About how much of the journey should I expect to be without cell service? Has anyone tried a cell booster on this journey?

Thanks from the n00b,
Bash

The signal boosters that some work trucks use would probably help a lot except for the fact that you don't have a practical method to put the antenna outside. Verizon used to sell Jetpacks with antennas that could be affixed to windows for improved service but I haven't see those in years. I usually get intermittent service that works okay near towns and highways but falls off in remote areas. As said above it's enough to check-in or take a quick call but not enough to work remotely.

I tell anyone likely to need to get in touch with me on long-distance trains to use text messaging. In turn I'll send text messages and they'll be picked up along the way. I'm old enough to have sent and received Western Union telegrams so it's easy for me but it's actually easier for a lot of purposes than being in a conversation that suddenly drops off when a mountain gets in the way.

That said, eastbound about half an hour after leaving the Moffat Tunnel you should have good signals until about 45 minutes east of Denver. Some carrier may do better.

Back