Chances of getting my roomette downstairs (#13) moved upstairs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziv

Conductor
I got what I think is a really good deal from DC to Williston for next month, just $458 for coach on the Cap Limited to Chicago plus a roomette from Chicago to Williston on the Empire Builder. I am pretty stoked for the trip to start, but I ended up being assigned #13 and when I did a search on the site, it seems like I am not the only one that kind of likes the upper level of the Superliners better. Is there a way to maximize my chances of getting moved upstairs without paying highbucket prices? The person I spoke to at Amtrak took about 4 minutes to check all the upper level roomettes available and the best price she could get me upstairs was $640'something. She was really helpful but it just didn't seem like there was an upper level roomette available at lowbucket prices.

Should I just call every 3 or 4 days and ask to modify my reservation? Is there a better way to maximize my chance of getting an upper level at low bucket rates? Would it be worth it to ask the conductor before I start unpacking my luggage as we leave Chicago?

I really like the views on the Builder and being upstairs seems to make the view even better.

That's interesting because I like the lower level sleepers. I have had several problems with the upper level toilet breaking down. With the lower level having more than one it's best for me. I've gotten older and the stairs have become a problem for me trying to get to the toilet.

Are there roomettes available upstairs?

A good rep should be able to move your reservation to another roomette without rebooking you. It seems like, the rep you are speaking with, is attempting to start a totally new reservation, with the intent to cancel your current one. Its that new reservation which will be booked at the current fare/bucket.

Thanks for the positive take on it, Bigval! I like the view from the upper level a bit more but the convenience of the lower level may offset that somewhat. I don't mind stairs that much though, so it might be a small gain for me.

Cho cho, the reservation person really seemed to try to book me up at the same price, and spent 4 minutes or so trying to do so. I don't know the system though, so I could be wrong. I am just wondering if lowbucket upper level roomettes get freed up occasionally in the couple of weeks before the train leaves the station. And if so, how is the best way to get them without spending more money. I can get an upper level roomette, but it will cost almost $200 more.

Call back and if they can't do it without a change in fare then ask to speak with a supervisor.

I think the odds of getting roomette moved upstairs is zero. That's a lot of cutting, welding, and heavy lifting.

The odds of getting your reservation moved upstairs is far more likely :)

If you must stay downstairs I recommend room 14 over 13. It provides a bit more privacy from viewing hall activies. Both of these rooms share a wall with the family bedroom downstairs.

Amsnag just let me know that the Cap Limited roomette just dropped from $284 to $147.

I keep getting a 404 message when I hit the "Purchase" button on Amsnag. Not sure what is going on. I may call Amtrak tomorrow and see if I can get upstairs on the Builder and the Cap Limited.

Amsnag just let me know that the Cap Limited roomette just dropped from $284 to $147.

I keep getting a 404 message when I hit the "Purchase" button on Amsnag. Not sure what is going on. I may call Amtrak tomorrow and see if I can get upstairs on the Builder and the Cap Limited.
Why not call now? Prices can change in the blink of an eye.

I keep getting a 404 message when I hit the "Purchase" button on Amsnag. Not sure what is going on.
I'm not sure what's going on either! Post #1 indicated yesterday you "got what I think is a really good deal from DC to Williston for next month, just $458 for coach on the Cap Limited to Chicago plus a roomette from Chicago to Williston on the Empire Builder." And now you're saying you're trying to buy another ticket this morning?

If successful you'll end up with and pay for a duplicate ticket - if I'm understanding this correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
niemi, I have been trying to get Amsnag to work but I have not been able to get past the "Purchase" link, so I don't think I am in danger of double-booking. Knock on wood. I just wanted to support the people that run the Amsnag site because they provide an excellent service. I am not sure how they are remunerated but I hope they get a commission somehow. I have done all my reservation work directly with Amtrak, not through Amsnag, even though Amsnag tipped me off on which days had the lowbucket rates.

Penny, you are right about sooner being better than later. I just got off the phone with Amtrak, and though I wasn't able to get my $147 roomette deal for the Cap Limited, I was able to move my reservation from Roomette #13 to Roomette #4 for no additional fee.

I keep getting a 404 message when I hit the "Purchase" button on Amsnag. Not sure what is going on.
I'm not sure what's going on either! Post #1 indicated yesterday you "got what I think is a really good deal from DC to Williston for next month, just $458 for coach on the Cap Limited to Chicago plus a roomette from Chicago to Williston on the Empire Builder." And now you're saying you're trying to buy another ticket this morning?

If successful you'll end up with and pay for a duplicate ticket - if I'm understanding this correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
niemi, I have been trying to get Amsnag to work but I have not been able to get past the "Purchase" link, so I don't think I am in danger of double-booking. Knock on wood. I just wanted to support the people that run the Amsnag site because they provide an excellent service. I am not sure how they are remunerated but I hope they get a commission somehow. I have done all my reservation work directly with Amtrak, not through Amsnag, even though Amsnag tipped me off on which days had the lowbucket rates.

Penny, you are right about sooner being better than later. I just got off the phone with Amtrak, and though I wasn't able to get my $147 roomette deal for the Cap Limited, I was able to move my reservation from Roomette #13 to Roomette #4 for no additional fee.

I don't think you can book on Amsnag. The link should take you to Amtraks website where you would do the booking. Amsnag is in no way affiliated with Amtrak and does not get a "commission". It's just a tool an AU member created to help others plan their trips.

Oh. I didn't know that AmtrakBlue. I thought Amsnag got a cut. All I got was a 404 message. Thanks for the heads up, though. That is a great site, I wouldn't have known what days had the lowbucket without it.

I don't think you can book on Amsnag. The link should take you to Amtraks website where you would do the booking. Amsnag is in no way affiliated with Amtrak and does not get a "commission". It's just a tool an AU member created to help others plan their trips.

Cho cho, the reservation person really seemed to try to book me up at the same price, and spent 4 minutes or so trying to do so. I don't know the system though, so I could be wrong.

Call back and if they can't do it without a change in fare then ask to speak with a supervisor.
Again, the Rep should not be attempting to book you upstairs. You're already booked. As CCC mentioned, if the rep doesn't know how to change/modify your existing booking, ask to speak to a supervisor.

I hate the downstairs roomettes. Before I got wise and was assigned one, I boarded and noticed a family had the family room (of course) but they also had other roomettes booked downstairs. Result--all doors were open, there were conversations back and forth, the corridor belonged to them, and noise levels were high. I asked the SCA if he could move me to a roomette upstairs, and guess what--he checked things out and did.

My advice is keep trying on the phone repeatedly, but if you don't succeed, ask the SCA or conductor after you board if they can help.

Thanks to all for the advice, and now that I am in roomette #4 for the Builder, which is pretty cool, I am hoping that I will be lucky enough to get a low bucket fare for the roomette on the Cap Limited, as well!

Cho Cho, I think I am using the word "book" wrong. The second Amtrak rep tried to get me an upper level roomette at the same rate that the first one got me on the lower level, but didn't find it. She didn't re-book me, she tried to improve/modify my reservation as I was requesting. The third Amtrak rep was the one that found the low bucket roomette at the same price a day later. I am pretty happy with the price and even more so now that I am on the upper level roomette.

Thanks to all for the advice, and now that I am in roomette #4 for the Builder, which is pretty cool, I am hoping that I will be lucky enough to get a low bucket fare for the roomette on the Cap Limited, as well!

Cho Cho, I think I am using the word "book" wrong. The second Amtrak rep tried to get me an upper level roomette at the same rate that the first one got me on the lower level, but didn't find it. She didn't re-book me, she tried to improve/modify my reservation as I was requesting. The third Amtrak rep was the one that found the low bucket roomette at the same price a day later. I am pretty happy with the price and even more so now that I am on the upper level roomette.
She should have been able to override the prices she was seeing. When this happens, we ask them to ask a supervisor for help. I had an agent who didn't know how to do it and she was happy to learn from her supervisor that she could indeed do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back