Changes at Newton

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSFNewton

Train Attendant
I picked up a rumor while in Newton, Kans., that changes were underway at the Newton, Kans., station. While there, I did observe what appears to be a new ticket booth in the NE corner of the existing waiting area. Historical significance aside, this virtually eliminates any return of checked baggage service at Newton, and it reduces available waiting room space by about 40% based on my "eyeball" calculation.

Alterations are taking place at one of Newton's most treasured historic sites, but no one really seems to know what's happening. Those who do know are keeping mum about the changes.
Owners of the Newton train station have begun what appears to be interior construction. Bob Roberts, who would only identify himself as having "an interest" in the station though the building's tax statements are mailed to him at his Hutchinson residence, said he couldn't understand why people in Newton would be concerned with the building.
Here's the article from the Newton Kansan--

I noticed that a couple of weeks ago, too. It looked smaller in there and was actually a little crowded before the train came. When I sat down I saw that the wall behind me was unfinished sheet rock with some of the joint compound on the edges. When I came back from the trip it looked the same, so whatever they are doing it's not moving along so quick.

The Newton Station hosted 9,149 passengers on/off the Southwest Chief trains during fiscal 2003.

If my calculations are correct, this means about 12-13 people board/detrain each of the two trains that pass through the station each day. Does this sound about right to anyone who regularly patronizes the Newton station? Don't forget that families often accompany travelers to the depots to see them off and this can make it look like there are more paying passengers than there really are.

If this is about right, and the station's current waiting room can hold 150 passengers, the owners of the depot might be reconfiguring the place to add some other shop(s) or tenants to the depot along with Amtrak. It's a stretch, but it would make sense.

Here's a link to pictures of the existing Newton station before the renovations began: http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/newton.htm

JC, I'd say 150 is probably a stretch for comfortable accommodation in the present waiting room. However, I'd say your calculations on typical passenger counts is about right.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the jr. college that currently occupies space in the station building to the west, or some other tennant, probably wants the prime space that houses the present ticket office and (presently unused) baggage room.

Gosh those pictures of the station bring back memories. Has been more than 20 years since I was there and the inside looked pretty much the same until I guess recently. A great old station with a wonderful trackside platform area.

ATSFNewton said:
JC, I'd say 150 is probably a stretch for comfortable accommodation in the present waiting room.
It looked that way from the pictures, too. I pulled that magic 150 number from the article referenced in the first post in this thread, though:

When told others were concerned with the size of the waiting room being decreased, Roberts questioned the legitimacy of such concerns citing the room currently has a capacity of 150 people and is rarely filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back