Charleston, SC Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x-press

Service Attendant
Having located the Charleston Amtrak station in google earth (talk about remote!), I'm trying to figure out how to get downtown from there.

Do cabs "hang out" at train times, or will I likely need to call one?

I see what looks like a bus stop on nearby Rivers Avenue . . . but it doesn't look like a "nice walk" to get there, nor a particularly "nice area," (and I live in the set of The Wire). Am I mistaken in either of these assumptions? Has anyone ever done the bus from there?

Thanks in Advance!

JPS

I 've got the same problem soon.

But I thought i'd figure out how public transport to the city works.

The Bus station is about 0.27 miles south of the station.

Bus Line is No 10.

See also http://www.ridecarta.com/

BTW: I may not be from your continent, but what's wrong with walking 0.3 miles through a rather industrial area?

I wouldnt' mind to do so also in countries like Bulgaria or Ukraine, why should it be a problem in Charleston?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW: I may not be from your continent, but what's wrong with walking 0.3 miles through a rather industrial area?I wouldnt' mind to do so also in countries like Bulgaria or Ukraine, why should it be a problem in Charleston?
Basically, I have seen online reports of homeless encampments in the area. Now, I encounter homeless people here in Baltimore all the time, but not in the pitch black night while carrying luggage. These reports may not be true, but that's what I'm trying to find out. The road (Gaynor?) may not be well lit, and doesn't appear to have any sidewalks, either.

There's a thin line between being brave and being crazy!

Well if it's any clue, the station and parking is enclosed by a security fence. Spend a few bucks and get a cab - way too long in this seedy area for a walk/bus ride. But you'll love Charleston proper. Great town and even better restaurants. If coming from the north, take the Palmetto rather than the Meteor. A nice daylight trip and the business class is very nice.

Now, I encounter homeless people here in Baltimore all the time, but not in the pitch black night while carrying luggage. These reports may not be true, but that's what I'm trying to find out. The road (Gaynor?) may not be well lit, and doesn't appear to have any sidewalks, either.
You may be right, as you probably know your country better than I do. But I have to tell you that I had only one encounter with a homeless guy in Chicago. He asked me for a cigarette and i gave him my lighter as a gift. I 've not met a more grateful man in the USA.

But as you are from Baltimore, and my trip will also include your hometown, could you please tell me more about how careful I have to be there.

In fact the only city i'm a bit afraid about is New Orleans.

I've been through Charleston for a weekend trip once. There generally are cabs waiting, stalking their prey. If for some freakish reason there isn't one the station agent will know the number for a cab company.

I was recently in Charleston and the guy I was with was a native South Carolinian, huge Clemson fan! :D He thought it was nuts when we were in Columbia and I wanted to see the Amtrak station, so when we were in Charleston, we saw an "Amtrak" sign and I mentioned "can we see the station here?" He mentioned, "I'm not sure where its at but this isn't a neighborhood or an area of Charleston I want to be driving around in and getting turned around". It was broad daylight, so take that for what its worth. I can't tell you anything other than what he told me.

I've been there. Take a cab, the station is in a industrial type area. There were cabs waiting at the station to meet the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back