Charlotte to Kissimmee; frustrating experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I am attempting a second train trip with my DS, now 6. We were taking the 530 Piedmont from Charlotte to Cary NC and connecting to the Silver Star with a bedroom to Kissimmee.

Well, the Piedmont hit and killed someone, so major delay and SS wasn’t waiting. We were doing a weekend getaway with a flight back Sunday night. A few others were on the same connection, so they are getting us a cab at 930p to Columbia SC and catching the SS at…2am. They said I could try for compensation later. I know it was random but so exhausted and frustrated right now! I’m praying that the bedroom is made up and ready to go bc I’m going to collapse.

No more trains for me after this.

Actually, once we finally got on, it’s been very nice. The bedroom car has tons of room for us and the SCA is probably the best I’ve had. He got us settled right away, went to get us a drink from the cafe car even though it was 2am and has been super helpful. What is an appropriate tip?

Actually, once we finally got on, it’s been very nice. The bedroom car has tons of room for us and the SCA is probably the best I’ve had. He got us settled right away, went to get us a drink from the cafe car even though it was 2am and has been super helpful. What is an appropriate tip?
I think the general consensus is $10/night per person for "normal" service. Since your son is 6, may $5 for him & $10 for you. :)
Glad to hear things are better for y'all.

Disruptions can happen on any mode of transportation, but let be honest here - they happen a lot more on Amtrak than on airplanes or even Greyhound. I love riding trains as much as anyone else here but it needs to be approached with a certain sense of adventure, especially outside the NEC.

I did just receive an email saying they would be sending a voucher for the disruption. I’m just curious, what should I expect?
Yes I was worried about the first train running late but had been told that they would hold the second. Granted I wasn’t picturing the first train striking and killing someone which is of course out of the realm! I wish they had bussed us to Cary to try to catch it but other than the long painful night, it’s worked out.

I undertook an epic journey this summer. Two trains, the Texas Eagle and the Southwest Chief, were each delayed by seven hours. I did not miss any connections, but received two vouchers for $50 each towards future travel within the next year.

OTOH, the Coast Starlight I was on was involved in a derailment. To stay on schedule, I booked my own alternate transportation and was (eventually) reimbursed. I received a full refund for the CS, but since I was using the California Railpass ($160 for 7 days of travel), they prorated it and refunded me less than twenty-three bucks. No voucher was forthcoming for that.

Back