Check-In for Train Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
Since I already have a ticket, is there any check-in required at major stations? If I am not checking luggage do I just go directly to the train? This is all assuming that security is not increased before my trip.

Since I bought my ticket on the Amtrak internet site there was never an ID check. I also used the AAA discount. Where will all of this be checked?

;)

My AAA card was not checked on the Empire Builder or Eagle on my recent trip, even tho I made sure to have it.

There is no real checkin required at any of the major stations, unless you are in a sleeper. Then and only then would you be required to checkin so as to gain access to the First Class lounges.

You may find someone glancing at your ticket as you head through the gate, just to make sure that you both have a ticket and are boarding the correct train.

As for ID check, it can happen, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Usually they only check ID on tickets brought at the window, since many of those are paid for in cash.

I've never had any request for AAA verification when ordering tickets on-line or by anyone at a station or aboard the train.

Archie said:
I've never had any request for AAA verification when ordering tickets on-line or by anyone at a station or aboard the train.
Then you must not be recieving a 10% discount on the rail fare. At some point, from when you made the reservation to the time the tickets are printed, you have to give your AAA membership number.

Most Conductors will not bother to check ID's, much less AAA or other discount cards. Granted that's most Conductors, there are a couple of sticklers for that sort of stuff. Also, if you paid for your tickets by credit card, make sure you sign them prior to boarding, as they have cracked down on unsigned tickets, so Conductors are checking for that signature.

I actually have been asked for my ID a few times when riding the Carolinian. I have never been asked when riding the Crescent or Coast Starlight.

My wife and I were requested to show passports when taking the Cascades to Vancouver.

If you book online at tickets.amtrak.com and select the AAA discount, it asks you for your AAA membership number. When your tickets come in the mail, they say something about AAA card required, but after entering the number at reservation time, I've never had to present the card onboard or during any subsequent part of the itinerary, even when exchanging the tickets at a staffed station. YMMV.

I travel reguarly on a Student Advantage card. The ticket asks them to check your SA Card and your Student ID. I have never once been asked for either.

Nope I never had mine checked either.

But why do they want each ticket signed? They don't check ID to compare your signiture or anything. This just seems to slow down the Conductor when collecting tickets. First it seems most people don't know they have to put their signiture on the ticket, second most people don't have a pen, so the conductor has to pass out pens to everyone and wait for them to get the tickets signed. Just seems like it's a waste of time for everyone.

I know someone is going to write and say it's because you payed for it with a credit card on the internet that's why you have to sign it. OK fine... but why don't you have to sign anything when buying many things nowdays with a credit card. Like paying at the pump, or most grocery stores and such where you swipe your own card.

amtrakmichigan said:
I know someone is going to write and say it's because you payed for it with a credit card on the internet that's why you have to sign it. OK fine... but why don't you have to sign anything when buying many things nowdays with a credit card. Like paying at the pump, or most grocery stores and such where you swipe your own card.
And that's exactly why you have to sign, because you paid with a credit card.

Yes what you mention is true, however in the cases that you've cited, you personally are swiping your credit card. You didn't just enter the number into the machine. The swipe helps to prove that you were there.

Now im my grocery store, I still have to sign the receipt. In the case of the gas station, no I don't. However the gas station is willing to bet that you won't protest the sale, and with an average sale of maybe 20 bucks, they won't loose much if you do protest and they can't prove it was you.

Let's also consider things brought on-line. You may not be signing a receipt when you buy something shipped to your home, but you are signing a UPS or other delivery service bill of lading, so again they have proof that you got the item.

But on a 200 dollar train ticket, one isn't willing to risk that. So they want a signature. :)

You can buy an airline ticket to anywhere at any price without signing anything. Go to an airline site, Expedia, or the like. Book a First Class ticket for $4000. Enter your card number; get an E-ticket receipt, and head for the airport. You're done. You sign nothing. The airline is at no risk. They have an approval code from the card issuer and are guaranteed payment. Amtrak has the same protection. Of course, you do have to show photo ID at security, but Amtrak is supposed to check ID also. But you can also get event tickets from Ticketmaster costing hundreds of dollars with no signature and no ID check. Signing that ticket is just silly and is so twentieth century.

I think this signing the ticket routine is one more nit-pick example of Amtrak being at least 10 years behind the technology curve. Like paper seat checks, like hand-issued on-board ticket sales, like no advance seat assignments on Acela or long distance trains, etc., etc., etc.

And the same logic that I mentioned above still applies PRR60 to your examples.

The airlines figure that between the security check that's supposed to match your id to your ticket, coupled with the new security codes on the back of your credit card, that they have enough to prove that it was really you buying and using that ticket.

Ticketmaster is simply willing to gamble that most people won't fight and that even then when someone does fight, that they'll still win most of the cases.

But the signature remains the almighty proof that you were the one using the card for that purchase. Should you ever be unfortunate enough to have one of your credit cards stolen, the fact that signatures are still required for most purchases can be invaluable to you. Unless of course your thief is also a handwriting expert, in which case you may well find yourself paying for those charges.

PRR 60 said:
I think this signing the ticket routine is one more nit-pick example of Amtrak being at least 10 years behind the technology curve. Like paper seat checks, like hand-issued on-board ticket sales, like no advance seat assignments on Acela or long distance trains, etc., etc., etc.
Since this part veered slightly off the main topic, I wanted to talk about this separately. You're correct PRR60, that in some sense Amtrak does appear to be behind the 8-ball when it comes to some of the technology stuff. Yet the reality is that Amtrak had been working towards achieving some of the goals you've mentioned.

Acela as designed, would have achieved all of the goals that you mention, in fact it still could, given Amtrak's receiving proper funding. Sadly those efforts failed due to four factors, Amtrak mismanagement, crew revolt, passenger revolt, and the ever persistent lack of funding. I'll expand more on this later.

When Acela was first introduced, one could indeed book the seat one preferred right on-line if you were in the First Class car, I did several times myself and loved it. There was a similar car diagram like the airlines use, and one could simply click on the seat one wanted. That same diagram also showed what direction the seats faced and which seats were already sold. Eventually the idea was that this would be expanded to the whole train.

Factors for the demise of this were, the overall failure to implement all the new technology for Acela, crew indifference (they wouldn't force passengers to sit where they were assigned), and passenger revolt. Passengers who were used to sitting where ever they pleased were not happy being told where they had to sit, especially some who found themselves riding backwards.

Paper seat checks were also supposed to have met their end on Acela. Above each seat is an electronic device with each row & seat number on it. The idea was that the conductor would carry a scanning device and scan each ticket. As he/she scanned the ticket a light would light behind the seat number, indicating that that seat was occupied.

The onboard computer would turn off that light once the train reached the station where that passenger was to have disembarked. This system would have also allowed Amtrak to re-sell the seats of no-shows at stations further up the line.

This failed for a few reasons, but I'll only mention the three biggest. One the devices chosen were rather bulky, since they were brought before PDA's really came into their own, so the conductors were up in arms about having to carry 5 or 6 pounds of equipment down the aisle. Two, management did handle most of tis project properly. Three, and the biggie, the money ran out before the techies could solve all of the software problems.

This system would have also permitted computerized on-board ticket sales, now made irrelevant since thanks to security concerns one can no longer buy tickets on-board an Acela train.

Had this grand plan succeeded, then this technology would have spread elsewhere as time and money permitted. It's my understanding that much of what was developed could still be utilized, if only Amtrak had the money to finish things. I have even heard rumors that a major overhaul is coming to the Amtrak site soon and that one of the changes will be the use of the technology to allow one to actually pick one's bedroom in a sleeper.

On the credit card issue, there is another reason Amtrak requires signatures. Their Merchant Processer is giving them a discount for requiring those signatures. For the MP, they have a cheaper process when disputes and fraud happen because they know their client has signatures. Amtrak is a federal company, so hence they went with the lowest bidder on a service.

Anthony said:
If you book online at tickets.amtrak.com and select the AAA discount, it asks you for your AAA membership number. When your tickets come in the mail, they say something about AAA card required, but after entering the number at reservation time, I've never had to present the card onboard or during any subsequent part of the itinerary, even when exchanging the tickets at a staffed station. YMMV.
I guess this is correct. I do now remember having to enter my AAA number when ordering on-line but I've never been asked to show it to anybody on board to verify it or to show any other kind of identification. In this day and age, I do find that a little surprising.

I personally feel the Computer system on Acela would've worked if several things would've happened. First, Conductors should've gotten lightweight portable PDA's AND laptops. If it were done right Conductors not only could do ticket collection electronically, seat designation, etc., but also have the entire manifest in the PDA and laptop, have their orders in there, fill out time tickets, and be able to do their delay report all on the PDA and Laptop. They could've gone totally paperless, and gotten numbers into Amtrak en route and immediately on the train's arrival in at its destination, rather than having to send the paperwork to data processors at crew change points, and tickets to San Antonio (which is where all that revenue stuff is done).

AlanB said:
I have even heard rumors that a major overhaul is coming to the Amtrak site soon and that one of the changes will be the use of the technology to allow one to actually pick one's bedroom in a sleeper.
This would be great. With our kids getting a bit older, we will have to get multiple rooms. In June we actually have two standard rooms booked. It would be nice to book to adjacent rooms. I know you can do that with deluxe bedrooms, but I don't think you can make requests for other rooms.

bmlock said:
This would be great. With our kids getting a bit older, we will have to get multiple rooms. In June we actually have two standard rooms booked. It would be nice to book to adjacent rooms. I know you can do that with deluxe bedrooms, but I don't think you can make requests for other rooms.
Well presently you can't request any bedroom via the on-line system.

However you can request a particular bedroom via either an agent on the phone or in person at a station. So if you call up Julie, just say agent. Then ask the agent to book you two standard bedrooms that are opposite each other or at least back to back.

If it's at all possible, they will indeed honor that request. If the bedrooms were sold in a haphazard manor, they might not be able to help. But the odds are in your favor. :)

I'll call and see if they can do that with my existing reservation. It's not a big deal now, but if we ever got a family bedroom and a standard I would want the standard next to the family bedroom.

bmlock said:
I'll call and see if they can do that with my existing reservation.
If your tickets have already been printed, then they'll probably charge you extra to change them. If they haven't then you could get them changed.

It's not a big deal now, but if we ever got a family bedroom and a standard I would want the standard next to the family bedroom.
Which is precisely what I did when I took a bunch of my family on the Autotrain last May. We had the family room & standard room #14, which is right next to the family room. Of course I was using GR points for that trip so I had to call a person, but even if you are paying they can still book requests if there is availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back